Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New TC78 smokes on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vetal are you running a MAF if so make sure to clean the oil out of the pipes and off of the maf with some maf cleaner. I have first hand experience that the oil on the maf kills your horsepower.

As far as the oiling I would personally go with a bigger drain line and make sure you have good ventilation. I drilled a 3/8 or 1/2" hole in the valve cover cap and screwed in a plumbing 90 degree fitting and a hose to a catch can just to be safe.

That's a start it might not fix your problem but it's not money wasted, the problem with the stock ventilation on a motor is it's designed to work when the engine see's vacuum and under boost or no vacuum it stops venting which is when we need it the most.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Season is coming and few things need to be sorted out, one of them - smoke on deceleration after boost
So let me summarize and correct me if I'm wrong or forgot smth.
1) bigger drain. I couldn't realistically go bigger than 5/8" ID, and outlet from bearings is smaller than that
2) improper crankcase ventilation - how do I check that?
3) busted valve seals - how do I check that?
4) scavenge pump - hmm... a bit more complicated than I would like to...
Didn't quite understand that about engine stop venting...
So please give me your suggestions on these points
Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

1. If you're drainback isn't sufficient, wouldn't you have oil in your uppipe/MAF?

2. What do you currently have for crankcase ventilation? Stock config or something you've created?

3. Valve seals would smoke on decel whether you'd been in boost or not. The vacuum pulls the oil down the guides into the cylinders. Have you pulled your plugs to see if any are more grimy than others?

4. Scavenge? Is this a rear mount?

Originally Posted by Vetal
Season is coming and few things need to be sorted out, one of them - smoke on deceleration after boost
So let me summarize and correct me if I'm wrong or forgot smth.
1) bigger drain. I couldn't realistically go bigger than 5/8" ID, and outlet from bearings is smaller than that
2) improper crankcase ventilation - how do I check that?
3) busted valve seals - how do I check that?
4) scavenge pump - hmm... a bit more complicated than I would like to...
Didn't quite understand that about engine stop venting...
So please give me your suggestions on these points
Old 04-02-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

The oil is in the pipes after turbo. MAF is before, no oil there.
Stock ventilation. Should I upgrade it?
I saw this only after turbo installation, that's why I'm not very sure about valve seals...
I didn't pull them after turbo. Before they all were similar
No, it's front, but among suggestions there was also to install separate pump
I really have no vision now what to do/check next... except maybe trying to squeeze the feed line a bit and see what happens (although it's within TC recommendations, 6mm or -4AN)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stupid but simple thing, if you are going up a big hill and make a pull, does it still smoke when on decel? If not, it's probably your drain line/angle. This is assuming the turbo is mounted in front of the engine.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skinnies
Stupid but simple thing, if you are going up a big hill and make a pull, does it still smoke when on decel? If not, it's probably your drain line/angle. This is assuming the turbo is mounted in front of the engine.
Great idea No hills anywhere near unfortunately... Any other way to check if drain is insufficient?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Another thing I've seen referenced in these Forced Induction forums for Turbos, do you have an oil restrictor to prevent excess oil pressure at the turbo? I just put my T76 on without checking anything on that and it's been perfect. I *think* I asked Jose at Forced Inductions.com "Do I need an oil restrictor?" and that he replied that I didn't. It's been too long (3 yrs?). But if you search this forum for "Oil Restrictor" and "+Turbo", you'll see lots of posts about that and what symptoms to which the posts refer. Basically, they had too much oil pressure at the seals and it got past. Sorry if I'm repeating info that was presented before. I'm only reading the last several posts.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

I have had similar issues,sounds like blow by to me,try venting the valve cover with one vented push in ,run a line from both valve covers to the air inlet on the turbo,this uses the venting form the air being sucked into the turbo cold side to pull vaccume out of the motor,get a chech valve so that the boost dont try to sneak out, this is what I have found to work very well,also does you BOV just go woosh or does it sound like its laughin at you,if the later the BOV is not working fast enough,this might also cause an issue,if the BOV does not wok right, or you dont have one big enough, it will allow the compressor wheel turn backwards and makes the laughing sound.(sorry best way I can describe it) LOL..
Old 04-02-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't put BOV yet.
I'll research about venting, if that is really necessary when putting turbo?
mightyquickz28, I asked about restrictor in the very first post. I think I'll ask DrTurbo directly. Although in instructions it doesn't mention restrictor, only dictates line size: -3AN or -4AN
Old 04-02-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question Does

Originally Posted by Vetal
it is 16mm, or 5/8" inner diameter, and it never goes horizontal or upwards...
the return hook into the pan??
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old Geezer, yes
Old 04-02-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but what size oil feed line are most people using?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a quick way to check whether ventilation is at fault? like removing oil cap maybe (how to stop the oil from going everywhere??)
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM

I was having the same issue, Removed PCV system and routed all my valve cover outlets to a vented catch can. Issue resolved. I think positive pressure in the crank case was preventing the oil from draining? Whatever it was I am glad the james bond smoke screen effect is gone.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, problem was due to stock untouched PCV after I routed it to turbo intake, problem is gone or almost gone

Quick Reply: New TC78 smokes on deceleration