Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cold STS scavenge pump squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold STS scavenge pump squeaking?

Is this a precursor to my pumps demise? Or should I just put it on high speed?
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosulekg
Put a belt driven mechanical pump on and be done with it forever LOL **** all that (high/ low) speed relay **** to tell the pump what to do and when.These hourly rateings that comes with these electric pumps,,are given for a reason LOL and are just not all that dependable when compared to a mechanical IMO. The hot oil return oil just takes its tool on the internal electrical and internal parts on these electrical scavanging pumps . I like taking my ride on long trips and vacations (when i have money) LOL and is why i desighned and made a bullit proof scavanging pump for my F body some years back when i first bought and installed my INCON TT kit that came with an electric scvavanging pump.This is why i stated away from the STS kits when they first came out too.I just put and have to much money into my build to have an electric pump ruin my turbos and day if ever out on a long ride somewhere and no flate bed service to get me home LOL.Alot of guys will tell you they just keep a spare in there ride with some tools LOLThat in itself says it all there! Here a pic of my mechanical pump that i made and if you look around you can find em There definatly more exspensive then the bullshit electricals, but if you stay with the electric you'll end up spending that and some in the long run. Just do it right the first time around IMO Some guys will say there electric pumps have lasted forever ,other will say they've had bad ones right out of the box LOL Im just not the gambleing type guy with my ride.
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...vaging%20pump/
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...20pump%20pics/

Last edited by barnat; 12-07-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rosulekg
The type of pumps that STS uses can get moisture and corrosion under the electrical connector cap. If you are going to get another one then make sure it is perfectly sealed with RTV before you install it. The squeaking may actually be a sign of the bronze gears making contact and bearing failure. More than likely the pump you have is going to fail very soon.

I have been using an air cooled differential (diaphragm style) pump from MOCAL that has not missed a beat yet.

Hope this helps
Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

Thanks Guys excellent information! That mechanical set-up is sweet! Interesting your thoughts mimiced mine on going on long trips with this pump, exactly, as I new I would need an extra, and now I would need two.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

It may only have been my oil as it was pretty contaminated! I'm now thinking since the noise only happens after the car sits for a week or more that dirty oil may have be separating and gumming things up.
Anyway, changed the oil and will see in a week or so!

Quick Reply: Cold STS scavenge pump squeaking?