Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Throttle Sticking ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle Sticking ???'s

The last time I was at the track , my last 2 pass's I noticed the car stayed running around 3000rpm after I had let off the gas. I ended up shutting the car off and re-firing it to get it to idle normal. Now on Thursday, I drove the car around town for awhile, and noticed when I would roll into the throttle as soon as it would build some boost I would let off the gas and the same thing happened again. I shut the car off and cranked her back up to get the idle back to normal.And then the last 2 pulls, if I let the car build a little more boost I would let off the gas, but the damn car would pull harder and harder, so I freaked out and just shut the car off again. And of course, when the car is not running the throttle body seems to work fine ,nice and smooth feeling. SO, is there a aftermarket spring for throttle bodies or do I just need to add some springs some how to the TB like old carb setups had? Or is it possibly something wrong with the TB? It just started doing this, but any idea's would be great. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought mine was sticking but it was the floor mat
Old 12-20-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

sure its not a tunning issue?will it do it at idle with a quick rev?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Chris make sure the TB Blade is not hitting the IC pipe. I ran into the same issue you are describing on my old shop car. It only Happened under boost too. It may not be the case but is worth checking.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by steves2002z28
i thought mine was sticking but it was the floor mat
I havn't checked this yet!

Originally Posted by 02 z/28
sure its not a tunning issue?will it do it at idle with a quick rev?
No, I even brought it up on the 2 step and it didn't do it.

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
Chris make sure the TB Blade is not hitting the IC pipe. I ran into the same issue you are describing on my old shop car. It only Happened under boost too. It may not be the case but is worth checking.
We checked this as well and it's all OK.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

It's not one of the older FAST TB's is it, some of them would stick.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
It's not one of the older FAST TB's is it, some of them would stick.
No, it's a Nick Williams.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue with my NX TB, just lube the cam and spring, if it gets stuck again, blipping the throttle will usually free it up. Happened to me twice in the same day and kinda freaked me out, thought it was a vacuum leak or something. The second time I had the scanner hooked up because we were logging and saw 11% throttle at idle, blipped it and it went down to 0%.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a bad MAF will do that but I imagine you are not using one? I had the back of the throttle blade build up with gummy residue and throw of the idle postion. The face of the blade looked good.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:03 PM
8 Second Club

You have to run two return springs by the rules anyway. I would start out by adding a spring, you need to anyway
Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

I use a return spring but I got a suck *** fast throttle body.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cable might not be going back fuly into the grove on the TB, and sitting up on the outisde of the cam. Holding the TB open a little. Mine would pop off somtimes, letting off fast at the track. I had to grind a little move wider V on my NW TB. The cam is wide but had a little v for the cable to ride in.

Also had to space the cable bracket off the intake with 1 washer. There alinemnt was off a little.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...s/DSC02970.jpg
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine sticks and i put a return spring on it and its been fine eversince
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM
9 Second Club

This is odd. Has been working great, with no issue's. For you guys that added another spring , where did you locate it? It looks like I may have to drill a tiny hole on the bottom where the factory cable connects to(the little led ball piece)?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

My procharged car does this too. I have talked to several people about it. The general word is the throttle blade hangs cause it acts like an air foil. The amount of air flow you are pushing across the blade wants to hold it open. When you blip the throttle it disturbs the air path and allows the throttle to close. I installed a secondary return spring and it helped out. I am going to install another spring and run to I am pretty sure this will solve the issue.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shot in the dark here, but maybe you are maxing the BOV, maybe you need a bigger one or even two.....

Has the TB been ported any?

J
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Shot in the dark here, but maybe you are maxing the BOV, maybe you need a bigger one or even two.....

J
I have 2 BOV's. I drove to a buddy of mines house tonight and took him for a ride(never been in a decently fast car before) and it stuck wide open again. BUT this time I shut the car off and cranked it back up, it was still stuck wide open. Can the TPS sensor be messed up? Maybe I need to hook up my laptop and log this when it happens, but I am not sure if it will tell me anything other than the throttle is still open a certain % when I let off the pedal? I will pull the TB off tommorrow and check it.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HUNTER02SS
I have 2 BOV's. I drove to a buddy of mines house tonight and took him for a ride(never been in a decently fast car before) and it stuck wide open again. BUT this time I shut the car off and cranked it back up, it was still stuck wide open. Can the TPS sensor be messed up? Maybe I need to hook up my laptop and log this when it happens, but I am not sure if it will tell me anything other than the throttle is still open a certain % when I let off the pedal? I will pull the TB off tommorrow and check it.
If you still have problems, send me your contact info so I can get it fixed for you. I have a few ideas of what could be causing this.

My email is nickw_61@yahoo.com
Old 12-22-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jashell1562
My procharged car does this too. I have talked to several people about it. The general word is the throttle blade hangs cause it acts like an air foil. The amount of air flow you are pushing across the blade wants to hold it open. When you blip the throttle it disturbs the air path and allows the throttle to close. I installed a secondary return spring and it helped out. I am going to install another spring and run to I am pretty sure this will solve the issue.
+1 on this, have seen two blower cars do this, flipping the throttle blade so the hole was at the top cured it on one car.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:41 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by frcefed98

J
That was going to be my guess, but he already answered it.

Quick Reply: Throttle Sticking ???'s