Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS Turbo Question

Old 01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS Turbo Question

I am curious if there is a way to check the turbos to see if the seals are bad. Last winter I had my car put together and running. Never tuned it or drove it far. Put maybe 5 miles on it. Anyways, I went to drain the oil and there was about 1 1/2 gallons of oil/coolant that drained out. I am not sure at this point if it is was something with the engine or the turbos. The engine was pulled and torn apart. The only thing that was not correct on the engine was the headgaskets. I have cast iron 6.0L and the guy that put the engine together the first time put LS1 head gaskets on it (partilally my fault and partialy his.) No sure if that would cause the coolant to leak. The other thing i thought it might be is one of the turbos. I do not want to put the engine back in the car to find out that the one or both of the turbos are leaking. Is there a way to test these things without them on a the engine.

Thanks
Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I started up my new 408 with aps twin kit install I had similar problem. Luckily buddy was there checking so we caught it first few minutes and hopefully no permanent damage. It appears I had an internal crack in one of the turbos which was letting coolant pour into the oil but not vice versa. My solution was to not run the water cooling on the turbos and have done that for about six thousand miles.Water cooling is optional on the mits 20gs, oil cooling is not.

So you can try that .Just cap off the water cooling lines and test things out. If its not the turbo doing it then it could be head gasket,warped head, or cracked block.
It is actually fairly easy to crack the block if person has water in head bolt holes and tightens things down. Very important to clean out the head bolt holes.
I originally thought my problem was cracked block or head gasket problem.I used ls7 head gasket with my afr225 and it appears its not a perfect match. But as said have put 6000 miles on the car with no apparent problems with coolant into oil since capping off the turbo water cooling lines.

I am upgrading shortly likely to LG turbos .I did buy some replacement center carts to use if didn't want to use aps with their bad rep for failure. I will likely sell those centers off now . They are about 800 new plus shipping. If you are interested you can pm me will let them go for a few hundred less .They are brand new plug and play and the company says they are genuine mits centers. I will also have a spare aps shortly to sell but not sure which side has the internal crack.

Also if the turbo do blow they will not put water into oil they would simply put out lots of oil. I kept my boost at 7.5 psi because didn't trust them.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will cap the coolant lines and see how that works. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APS Turbo Question