Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

hobbs switch placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hobbs switch placement

Where is everyone placing their hobbs switch? Are you putting it in the charge pipe near the turbo before IC or after?

Also, from what I understand the Hobbs acts as a relay. So I can run the power wire from my battery to the hobbs switch, then to the fuel pump and ground the fuel pump like normal right?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

most Hobbs switch's are just that-switches, not made to handle high current, but could be used to control a relay-i use them after the i/c'er, in my carb hat
(i run a blowthru) i use mine to trigger the retard
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the Hobbs switch anywhere it can get the boost signal it needs to suit your purpose. Use a good relay. Run ground to one side of the switch and then to relay pin# 85. If running a fuel pump, I recommend adding a fuse link to the back of the alternator for the absolute best voltage source. Run that voltage source to pin 87 on the relay and also a small jumper wire connecting 87 to 86 to energize the coil of the relay. The relay output will be on Pin 30. Run that to your pump hot wire. When you get in enough boost to trigger the Hobbs switch, it will switch a ground to the relay, and close the contacts, turning on your pump.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
11 Second Club

i placed mine where there would usually be a 1/8npt port at the end of the compressor housing(where you would normally get ref. for you WG) and put some thread sealant on it and screwed it in.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by importkiller_SS
i placed mine where there would usually be a 1/8npt port at the end of the compressor housing(where you would normally get ref. for you WG) and put some thread sealant on it and screwed it in.
Same location for me. I like to use them to ground to activate the relays, (no +12v wires near the hot pipes)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Lol oh! Just use it as a the switched on source, thanks guys that could have been bad. HAHA

Quick Reply: hobbs switch placement