Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help on turbo engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on turbo engine

Hi I would like to start building an engine for a turbo setup when I get my tax money. I have a 96 obd2 lt1 and I was wondering if it would be better to do a forged piston and rod 355 lt1 or to get a 5.3 silverado motor. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either setup? My main concern is reliability and also overall cost. I'm looking to run no less than 10psi of boost once tuned. Please give me some feed back, all suggestions will be considered.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

How much HP are you shooting for or what size turbo do you have in mind? Josh at Kentucky Turbo has been the biggest help of everyone I talked to! Look him up.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

rebuilt stock crank,rods,cam lt1 with forged pistons. is plenty strong to hold only 10psi.
if anything spend ur $ on tune, fuel, heads and intake upgrades.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Good advice for the level of boost
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 5.3 will take more abuse in stock trim compare to the lt1

i have seen some poeple at 600whp on stock shortblock
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I am somewhat undecided on the turbo setup that I want or need. I thought it would be best to build my engine to be strong before I boost it. I would like to start with 500 horse power and bump it up to 600 if I grew bored of 500. Either way I would like my engine to be more than strong enough to stand the power. I do not want a ticking time bomb, it has to be very reliable. What piston and rod setup do most of you guys use for the lt1 or 5.3? Id like to know what are that advantages or disadvantages of I beam vs H beam rods. If I were to build the lt1 I would probably do 4 bolt splayed mains, I dont feel safe with the 2 bolt mains. Reliabilty wise would 6 bolt main aluminum 5.3 be better than an iron 4 bolt lt1? Is there a way to get rid of the craptispark on the lt1? Which engine breathes better on top end? How well the engine breathes is very important because I dont want it to fall flat on its face before I run out of revs. I honestly think I would spend about the same either way. I'll be sure to look up josh at kentucky turbo when I get the chance. What do I need as far as the fuel system is concerned, what fuel pump and injectors? Rome wasnt build in a day and this project wont be either, im willing to take my time to get it right.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 500whp all you need is 60lb injector ( can be done with 42's also) and the racetronix single pump with hotwire kit.

h beam rods are stronger then i beam, but in most case they weigh more then i beams

if you plan on changing pistons and rods, i would just grab an lq4/lq9 from a junkyard

Quick Reply: Help on turbo engine