Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

no intercooler on big turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code4
I had a 15 gph pre turbo nozzle & a 4 gph pre throttle body nozzle. I had my timing set around 15 degrees. I was running 91 octane & when it shifted to 3 rd at WOT at around 11 pounds of boost it popped twice & shot the dip stick into the sky. It pre ignited on cylinders 1 and 4. Cylinder 1 busted the mahle forged piston and split the block all the way though to the water jacket. Cylinder 4 just chipped the piston. I have it back together & running with 2 new pistons & a steel block. Could'nt find an another aluminum block. I am trying to plumb the intercooler as we speak. It is a PITA.
Why did you setup your nozzles this way. Typically its a 15 GPH nozzle pre throttle. And "maybe" a smaller nozzle pre-turbo. And this depends on how much HP, how much temp your dealing with. With 11 PSI, you should have never had to run two nozzles like you did. Who ever told you to set it up like this was wrong.

Timing at 15 degree's sounds ultra conservative. Typically 18-20 is the norm. Unless its a mitsubishi 4g63 motor.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/alc...ight=bdc+mazda

There is some reading on the subject.

The only time I have ever heard of pre-igniting methanol has been with manual cars bouncing of the rev limter when they shift. So if your at high boost, shift and ba ba ba ba on the limiter before grabbing the next gear.. then you can cuase a mis-fire and create an issue in the intake. I can see the intake coming apart or TB, but for a cylinder.. it would have to be hydro lock.

Maybe said this way, in the 10 years doing this injection stuff.. you would be the first person I have ever heard of splitting a block from pre-igniting methanol. Thats why I asked the nozzle question because I knew something was coming
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

That is the way the company that sold me the kit said to install it. It pre ignited, no doubt about it. Intake temps were too hot & it blew. Intercooler is going on now plus a CAI.

Not going to say who the company was & I am not blaming them. It was my own fault for not running an intercooler & pushing my luck. It did not like the set up & was knocking. I kept turning the boost down & trying to find a happy place for it at WOT one week before taking it on the hotrod power tour. Well it didn't make it, haha.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

Just to throw it out there, there are a few 4g63's that run no ic with a **** ton of meth pre and post turbo for weight savings along with e85. Set up correctly, it can be done and done very efficiently.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hawaiifiveoh
Just to throw it out there, there are a few 4g63's that run no ic with a **** ton of meth pre and post turbo for weight savings along with e85. Set up correctly, it can be done and done very efficiently.
The cars you most likely speak of run methanol. Big difference. When running ethanol stick to using an I/C.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to try running twin TC76's on E85 with no intercooler. Windshield washer fluid only. I'm only planning on 7-10psi for the street and 15-20 at the track. If it sucks I'll just have my fab guy build me a huge front mount. I like to experiment, so why not?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Shearer
The cars you most likely speak of run methanol. Big difference. When running ethanol stick to using an I/C.
My bad, it was e98, here's the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oyj0WNISlM

English Racing ran 10's with ease in this 160k mile stock shortblock car with a stock dsm appearing sized turbo, so it should be more than doable, especially if it's a motor that's made to take some abuse. Would I want to try it out without the help of someone who knows wtf they are doing? Hell no, but definitely something that might just be something to look into.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did some real world testing.

Car is an 02 camaro. 396cu lsx, 91mm turbo, 100* air intake temp, 90-92* ambient temp. e85 with meth injection.

track day 1- 1.51 60ft. 6.12@118mph on 20psi of boost. intercooler, intake temp 95* end of track with single nozzle meth

track day 2- 1.45 60ft 6.13@117mph on 18psi of boost, no intercooler, intake temp 156* at end of track with triple AIS meth kit, 80.20 mix
Old 10-01-2011, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Good info in here. I've debated on pulling out my ebay 31x4x12 intercooler. 3" in/out. I ran witfh no meth the other night and I saw intake temps at 155* after a 1/8th mile pull on 20lbs.

I was thinking the intercooler may starting to be a restriction and that on a 1/8th mile pass it dosent actualy have time to cool the air.

Quick Reply: no intercooler on big turbos