Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mounts chime in!! intake in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear mounts chime in!! intake in the rain...

Hey all!

Ok...so rear mounted....you got that....lol..

I have a lil problem...i have a mushroom 4" shorty filter on my intake of the turbo...have a dry charger sock on filter...have a nice lil polished metal splash/deflector gaurd half moon on protecting the filter....

for whatever reason...thinking its water possibly getting into the intake/filter through the dry charger....but whenever it rains or after while its still puddles on the road(I dont go after them i promise) LOL...but like right after it rains...when roads are pretty soaked...I get a rainbow of afr and chugs...fueling goes everywhere and car gets all fat and wont boost without a fight or if at all....but mild dampness is not seeming to be a problem...

Upon further investigation, ive looked at the intake near maf and could see some dried up water spots before maf.....which water shouldnt be in intake NO MATTER WHAT! Thinking this water is getting in the intake and scewing the readings on the maf...The dry charger is only wet right at the bottom where there is space between the little fingers that the clamp goes on to hold on the deflector....that part is saturated pretty damned good...but everything else looks good.....

whats really funny is, that once it happens i can take it out and run it in dry conditions and it wants to chug a lil as before but, once i do some WOT pulls on the interstate, she eventually pulls through and gets back to business....its like it dries out?? and not until here recently, the car would pull right out of it...but now, its totally changed the fueling in the car and the same tune for the maf doesnt apply anymore...ive cleaned it a couple of times(MAF) upon the first few instances but, for whatever reason it wont recover now like it did before...its like it stuck!!...was boosting 8psi at 11.5 afr...well since the last incident im only boosting 5psi and the car is fat as a pig at 10.5-11.2...

Come to the conclusion and have narrowed it down for the most part I think to, the only variable in the whole damned tune becomes metering of air and weather!! LOL

So im thinking that it could be maf related too since we would throw some maf codes in the past when attemtping to boost anything in the rain...and the night we jumped on the dyno to tune...it was after it had rained and the car was acting like the street tune from the week prior wasnt even in there for 3rd gear...so had to retune 3rd just to get dyno numbers...it was fat, fat, fat...we also had some flat spots in the maf when it would cut out.....so i think its a mix of the maf and water.....

this is still a DD so gotta get on the on ramps etc....its hard not to boost a few psi...but, i went ahead and bought a brand new maf...its an LS2 screened maf....got a jumper on it....connections are good!! 1st MAF is used...so eliminate a variable by new maf hopefully.....

So for whatever reason....this is my problem...this seems to be a bug and a pain in my a$$!! it gets annoying have to tune, drive, things are good, drive in rain, retune, drive, things are good, drive in rain, retune...my tuner is going nuts!!! I wouldnt think that this would be such a dramatic issue IF THIS IS...but i guess every little bit counts when the water or even a little gets in the intake....

ive even examined the possibility that by cleaning the maf so much from it being used after the first few times(as i didnt clean it prior to first tuning) , I could of actually changed the reading qualities to more accurate in the maf which could throw the tune off too....but im boosting before the rain, then after im boosting but its all thrown off???

I have checked all my piping and exhaust....no leaks, no apparent problems...just some water spots.... I was even thinking of going back to a short stack again in the fender and elevate the filter/intake...but no fresh cool air up there

Im in closed loop on maf...fuel trims are mostly or as close to factory up top as possible...tuner was going to examine those as well just to experiment....but tune is great out of the rain!!

Thanks for the input guys!!

wondering if anyone has experienced this??

Last edited by Rossko85; 04-25-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

move the turbo up front

just kidding

do you spray meth/water ?

can you route the air filter further in to the rear fender ?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
move the turbo up front

just kidding

do you spray meth/water ?

can you route the air filter further in to the rear fender ?
no meth or water sprayed....and I would probably put that post maf for sure...If im on to what your asking...or making sure of LOL...

Im thinking ill probably pop it up there again...make a larger stack with less lead so its up in the fender but, protected as it should be high enough and ill add the sock for weather driving...LOL..take it off running her...

Quick Reply: Rear mounts chime in!! intake in the rain...