Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil return pump proper install info needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default oil return pump proper install info needed

Guru's,

About to install an oil return pump on the TT goat,..and hopefully have it running this weekend. That said... I would need check valves routed in line correct? If so,..where exactly do I put them... after the turbos and before the pump,... or just after the pump. Where do I get these or what do you recommend me using that I could find locally perhaps. This is so we don't suck the turbos dry on start up,..correct?

Only experience I have with oil pumps is when I have installed STS kits... which I believe has a check valve/ball at the end of the oil return line, going into the oil fill cap on valve cover.

Did a quick search... came up with all kinds of oil noise issues.

Thanks for any pics or insight. I appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Befor the turbos, Remember you dont want oil to seep in the turbo while the car isnt running. Make sure the check valves are 1 psi cracking.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Befor the turbos, Remember you dont want oil to seep in the turbo while the car isnt running. Make sure the check valves are 1 psi cracking.

Alright cool man. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you saying that you want a check valve between the turbo and the drain pump? What is the reason again?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller

Are you saying that you want a check valve between the turbo and the drain pump? What is the reason again?
No between the feed and the turbo. On a scavenger set up as u already know the pump returns the oil while the car is running. while the car is of the oil in the line will still flow and fill up the turbo since the turbo sits almost if not level to the pan. A check valve function is when it sees 1 psi of pressure it will open, any car runs between 50-80 psi of oil pressure so no problem of it not opening. So when the car is shut off the flow is cut by the check valve and the oil is stop. a rule of thumb that i did was to run the scavenger pump about 5 sec after shut down to prevent cooking my oil. work for 3+ years and still going.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

...where the hell can I find these little bastards. We've been soo busy, with life, haven't had time to truly truly search. Called a few places,.. no go.

Anyone recommend a location/store?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

sts maby? or i think summit sales them also trick flow makes them i belive.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check valves can be found on mcmaster carr
Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

sts maby? or i think summit sales them also trick flow makes them i belive.
Sts is a little crazy with some of they're parts. If I wanted to order a oil pump from them for example,.. they "won't sell it to me".... unless I provide a seriel number. I have installed multiple sts kits,..through them as well as others, and still,,... I need to provide a seriel number to get they're parts,...and then I have to return the old. Hard to deal with company, in my experience(atleast on getting parts).

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
check valves can be found on mcmaster carr
Thanks man, i'll see if I can search that out.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Oh dam on sts parts,...
Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't understand why a check valve is needed on the supply side. There will be oil sitting in the lines and turbo, but the savaging and lubricating process starts again when the engine fires. The install on the STS might be to keep the system from oil starvation on initial start up?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
I still don't understand why a check valve is needed on the supply side. There will be oil sitting in the lines and turbo, but the savaging and lubricating process starts again when the engine fires. The install on the STS might be to keep the system from oil starvation on initial start up?
Maybe because after the engine is off there is still oil in the lines and it might push oil out of the seal since there is nothing scavenging it. Just a guess
Old 05-22-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Maybe because after the engine is off there is still oil in the lines and it might push oil out of the seal since there is nothing scavenging it. Just a guess
I can't imagine how it would do that? oil pressure would quickly bleed off. I would think it an advantage to have oil sitting in the turbo on start up.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

A car with a return pump needs a check valve at the turbo on the feed line. You would be suprised how long that feed line continues to push oil after the key is turned off. If a guy had a place for that large volume of oil to drain post turbo it would not be needed. You could have the return pump run for 15 seconds after the key has been turned off but it isnt too great on the pump to be moving such a low volume of fluid. Check valves for the fix.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
...where the hell can I find these little bastards. We've been soo busy, with life, haven't had time to truly truly search. Called a few places,.. no go.

Anyone recommend a location/store?
((Earls)) has some nice ones that im using on my mechanical scavanging pump .I located mine right after my scavanging can, so the oil can't drain back in from the oil lines running up to my pump

Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
A car with a return pump needs a check valve at the turbo on the feed line. You would be suprised how long that feed line continues to push oil after the key is turned off. If a guy had a place for that large volume of oil to drain post turbo it would not be needed. You could have the return pump run for 15 seconds after the key has been turned off but it isnt too great on the pump to be moving such a low volume of fluid. Check valves for the fix.
Ok, but we are talking about a closed system. The oil goes to the turbo or supercharger and out to the pump which returns it to the motor. So if the oil continues to flow, it will fill the available space, turbo, hoses, and then stop. The pressure will never be as great as operating oil pressure. What am I missing?
Old 05-23-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeZ28
Ok, but we are talking about a closed system. The oil goes to the turbo or supercharger and out to the pump which returns it to the motor. So if the oil continues to flow, it will fill the available space, turbo, hoses, and then stop. The pressure will never be as great as operating oil pressure. What am I missing?
Turbo seals are not designed to see pressure. Most of them are a piston ring type design and will leak at the smallest amount of pressure. In a front mount design you make the return large, as high(gravity drain) and free flowing to prevent the same thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to run check valves on my pressure and suction side because my oil tank is higher than my turbo's and the oil lines were back-flowing oil and filling up the turbo's when both turbowerx pumps were off (dumping oil out the exhaust pipes upon startup). I bought my check valves from the big catalog guys... sum**t
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

chaos...

Thanks for the info/questions, and pictures guys.

I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: oil return pump proper install info needed