Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

front mount vs. rear mount turbo??? some one explain the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front mount vs. rear mount turbo??? some one explain the difference?

So after some reading around i cant really find what the real big difference is between mounting the turbo in the bay or out near the rear of the car? I really want a dependable set up as my TA is my DD. Car just over 74k and has been very well maintained and as of now is showing no signs of engine trouble. car makes 40ish lbs of oil pressure with 10w syn. oil at a hot idle and over 60 when your on the gas,,so bearings seem to still be tight.and no signs of excessive oil consumption.

So long story short i already purchased a very nice front mounted turbo set up with a all V band stainless exhaust and front mount intercooler.The turbo is a Garret GT45 (i think is the model its huge!) 90mm turbo but after going through all the stuff the install looks like a major PIA and i think i may need to buy a tubular K member. Also the turbo is so huge im worried its going to be laggy. If a rear mount works just as good id rather sell this or trade it for a STS i can put on with out having to drop my engine out the bottom for a clean install,and will save me some money on all the other things i probably need like a K member,relocating my alternator and moving my rad and condesnor around.

My goal is 500ish RWHP,want to keep A/C and its got to be dependable.its got to be somthing quick on the street. Theres some annoyingly fast 4cyl cars running around here and they need to go down in history so they stop blabbing

i also already have ..
comp cams custom ground turbo cam (need springs yet)
LS6 intake
FAST intank fuel pump
spec stage 3 clutch

i know i need injectors in the 50-60lb range yet, what else should i need?

THANKS!!

Last edited by yoshgixxer; 05-20-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mostly it is not the bearings that go on these engine. it is the piston ring land

a front mount turbo systems are difficult to install in an f body engine bay comparing to a Honda civic, but it can be done without dropping the engine.

i personally do not like the whole rearmount design, especially for a street car

if you honestly think you will not be able to install the front mount turbo kit you have or will not have the money to pay somebody to do it, i would look in to a procharger option before even thinking about sts.

also i would add arp head studs to you list
Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

ebay turbo kit

you are going to have fun with it

also are you sure the turbocharger you have is a genuine garrett ?

Last edited by smokinHawk; 05-02-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes that is the wonderfult PTK/ebay kit. I suggest throwing it away and starting with a quality kit (Ask me how i know).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

yes the kit came off a 00 SS so it all did fit, some of the piping was cut and re welded so you were right about the **** not fitting in some places out of the box,and he already had all the intercooler piping made to fit a F body...good news is he had to figure that out and get it to work! Also the turbo is deffinatly a garret turbo it says garrett on the housing!..either that or there getting crafty with the cloned turbos!!! lol maybe it says farett turbo hahah jk!

Its not that i cant install it im confident i can..its just this is my only car so this cant be a 4 week project...i did debate a blower set up just for the simplicity but damn i really wanted a turbo car..i had so many SC cars there boring!

as far as droping the engine out the bottom i figured it would be easier since my buddy has a fully equiped 80x100 garage with a nice lift and everything we need.

My biggest concern is the install time and nickle and dime here and there parts im forseeing i am going to need, going by all the other front mount install threads! that and a budget i gotta maintain...so far im around $2500 including all the turbo stuff heads,cam,pump and clutch..i have around 800-1000 left for the rest,my goal is to make 500rwhp for $3500

Last edited by yoshgixxer; 05-02-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

atleast its stainless! hahaha..

MUSTANGBRKR02- what probs did you have with yours? did it crack apart...i checked this kit over good before i bought it and i didnt see any cracks in it any where
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol haha, nice...nickle and dime...i started my build a week ago and now im having to get my motor and trans rebuilt. it went from buying my kit for 2400 to rebuilding the motor 1800, trans 800, and now im thinking just in fuel systems, gears, gauges theres another 2grand....im going broke fast...
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought the ebay kit was good too, can't beat $500 shipped....what problem you have with it mustangbk?
Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

the guy i got the turbo and cam from's car made 580whp, (seen dyno sheet)so the kit works..only difference between my car and his is he had ported LS1 heads and a FAST intake, ill have 6.0L heads and a LS6 intake..maybe/maybe not ported havnt decided yet!

Welp back to trolling the classifieds for parts i need!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

Just search ebay kit for eveything you will need. But i hated the solid mounts and all the v-bands were junk. Kit didn't line up and all in all a expierence i wouldn't do over again. I have since upgraded to a truck manifold kit and a tc-78 on a 370. The power was sick for a cam only LS but i wanted more and a better kit.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

yup just seen the solid motor mount thing..that sucks..the guy i got the kit from had a tubular K member in his car but didnt have solid mounts... i wonder if i can jsut keep my stock K member and cut that..or is it more of a heat issue for the rubber mounts then the clearance?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
But i hated the solid mounts and all the v-bands were junk.
Why did you hate solid motor mounts? I have a set in my car and can't even tell the difference compared to my stock mounts. Been in several others with them and I can't even tell they are installed.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Because they made the car sound like crap on the inside.

It is a heat issue. Stock K member will work but you will burn up the stock mounts.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

^^ in what way ?

i used to have spohn solid mounts and they where great, and did not make the car sound like ****, and my down pipe clearance was pretty good
Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elias_799
^^ in what way ?

i used to have spohn solid mounts and they where great, and did not make the car sound like ****, and my down pipe clearance was pretty good
Same here dident notcie a differance untilll i went to pull the tranny today lol. the motor mounts have to come off in order to lower the transmissinon
Old 05-03-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lets see if time is an issue I think the rearmount would be faster to install. I read the sts instructions a few times before I started to put mine in and it took me like 4 hours on jackstands in my driveway to install. With anything prep and walk-through before you get started would save plenty of time and it will ensure you do it properly. And make sure you know the con's of what you go with that way to can either fix them or ready yourself for what may or may not happen when you install. Do you have a tuner ready for this because you will need one right away.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
Lets see if time is an issue I think the rearmount would be faster to install. I read the sts instructions a few times before I started to put mine in and it took me like 4 hours on jackstands in my driveway to install. With anything prep and walk-through before you get started would save plenty of time and it will ensure you do it properly. And make sure you know the con's of what you go with that way to can either fix them or ready yourself for what may or may not happen when you install. Do you have a tuner ready for this because you will need one right away.
hey fugitive dont mean to thread jack but how much u puttin to the wheels now? and how much u plannin on aiming for once u get the EPP cam, im goin with damn near the same setup.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blacklightning744
hey fugitive dont mean to thread jack but how much u puttin to the wheels now? and how much u plannin on aiming for once u get the EPP cam, im goin with damn near the same setup.
honestly I don't know, I have done a lot since that first very safe tune (a long frustrating day with probs left and right). I don't really have a HP goal just want to see what I will get with 12 or 14lbs kinda shooting for the 600's though. Had a bad stroke of luck so I am going to get it dyno'd and go SD by next month and then I will post numbers and take it to the track
Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
honestly I don't know, I have done a lot since that first very safe tune (a long frustrating day with probs left and right). I don't really have a HP goal just want to see what I will get with 12 or 14lbs kinda shooting for the 600's though. Had a bad stroke of luck so I am going to get it dyno'd and go SD by next month and then I will post numbers and take it to the track
gooddeal, im aimin for low 600s myself, hopefully once i get some LQ9 heads

Quick Reply: front mount vs. rear mount turbo??? some one explain the difference?