Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

which intake for a RMT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which intake for a RMT?

Was doing some research on some of the FAST intakes and all the junk that is up and down about side by side test etc....and from my world...(LS4 FWD'S) one of our biggest upgrades we have found is to be the intake....

The intake of choice for our NA and FM FI guys is the LS6....now, this takes some modification due to us being FWD, having a DOD valley cover and having to relocate the MAP sensor...and then some plugging with a freeze plug and OPSU adapter etc...so some little pain in the butt stuff but, well worth it on this motor....these intakes seriously look like flatbread sandwhiches next to any LSx intake LOL....our TB's are 3.5" for cryn out loud people LMAO!!

So, i was going to take the plunge and go to the top...was going to do something that hasnt been done on this motor yet and that was do a FAST 92-102mm intake and swap out from my lil bitty TB to a 90mm LS2 (DBW) throttle...as we are DBW TB's as well....was going to really clean it up and get the billet fuel rail kit to go along with the LS4 shorty injectors...which the LS7 and 3's are same as mine if im not mistaken...the shortest of the 3 is what we have....which i think is LS7's for sure..correct me if im wrong..LOL..

NEwayz...as I get to reading....and looking at some comparisons neck and neck with some intakes...that there was one of the testers saying that the
90mm TB showed the most overall gains for the intake swap being the 102mm....then it was wrote that the smaller the port, the more velocity...so the higher numbers made since for the reasoning behind their power levels....as the big mouth 102mm TB with the 102mm intake didnt show as much....

So my question....would it be better for me to stick with my "flatbread" intake as me being a rear mount? the whole question here is VELOCITY...would i be better off with this LS4 intake or maybe even a port it along with the porting the current 76mm TB...which i heard was marketing anyways LOL..

i have yield to the advice of alot of the RM guys on here as far as setup when retaining exhaust velocity to assist in spooling up the bitch in back....

to me it seems to be a delicate balance....i would think more or as much intake as you can get...and stick with the manifolds as most RM guys and gals do..as im manifolds form factory...(FWD REMEMBER LOL)

or do i keep it small and so called "pinch" or "squeeze" the air in just to keep it tight on exit in the manifolds as well...??

From what ive seen and learned in the RM world too, is that as much intake as you can and then "pinch" (manifolds/wrap, etc)...but theres the balance...you can see my delima...any help...its always appreciated...

I didnt know that I was becoming a theorist as well when I decided to build a FWD LS4 LOL...some have even told me go with the LS2...which is smaller than most but, larger than mine??

thanks guys/gals!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

The Ls6 intake will outflow the ls4 intake by a worthwhile amount, and they are fairly cheap. Stock ls6 TB should work just fine too. No need to get fancy.

Stock exhaust manifolds will work just fine!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree. MightyMouse is running the LS6 and last time I looked at his mods list he also had a stock TB as well. He's in the 8's with this combo, so not seeing what you would gain going with the FAST. I only looked to the FAST because of asthetics. I know, I know. I might just get an LS6 and have it covered in carbon fiber. I want it to look different.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ls6 and call it a day.

And hurry the hell up, im getting bored with not being able to work on my car , so we could just pull yours in the garage if you wanted to.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
ls6 and call it a day.

And hurry the hell up, im getting bored with not being able to work on my car , so we could just pull yours in the garage if you wanted to.
its gonna be in the fall KY...LOL...but thanks for the offer...LOL

and as far as TB goes...i would have to do the adapter plate for mine from a 4 bolt to a 3 bolt....then i worry about my injectors fitting...i guess i could do aftermarket rails to use the shorty injectors on the LS6 intake....