Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

800 FlyWHP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

We have done quite a few cars that put out ~800 FHP. Bigger cubes and Nitrous usually.

We have a couple supercharger cars that are close.

Once you get around the 700-800 HP mark it gets to be a slippery slope with the LS1's, from a mechanical standpoint. It gets to be difficult to keep the heads down, simply because of the head bolting pattern.
We have methods available to do this, but any long-term, reliable method requires some pretty good machining to the block/heads.

Are there people out there that have done it, yes. But don't get roped into thinking it is a matter of just slapping an LS1 together with a blower and making 800 fhp. Most of us that are able to do it have put in ALOT of R&D and manhours getting these motors to live at those power levels.

FWIW, if you are thinking of going to these power levels, personally I would go for custom turbo setup or N2O.
Big supercharger setups are fun, but you run into the high HP problems earlier. Your supercharger will pull 15% alone just to drive it. So, even if you car makes 700 RWHP your equivilant cylinder pressure is that of a 900 FWHP car.

Just my opinion though.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGo
We have done quite a few cars that put out ~800 FHP. Bigger cubes and Nitrous usually.

We have a couple supercharger cars that are close.

Once you get around the 700-800 HP mark it gets to be a slippery slope with the LS1's, from a mechanical standpoint. It gets to be difficult to keep the heads down, simply because of the head bolting pattern.
We have methods available to do this, but any long-term, reliable method requires some pretty good machining to the block/heads.

Are there people out there that have done it, yes. But don't get roped into thinking it is a matter of just slapping an LS1 together with a blower and making 800 fhp. Most of us that are able to do it have put in ALOT of R&D and manhours getting these motors to live at those power levels.

FWIW, if you are thinking of going to these power levels, personally I would go for custom turbo setup or N2O.
Big supercharger setups are fun, but you run into the high HP problems earlier. Your supercharger will pull 15% alone just to drive it. So, even if you car makes 700 RWHP your equivilant cylinder pressure is that of a 900 FWHP car.

Just my opinion though.

Good Luck
WELL SAID!
Anyone thinking that this is an easy and cheap thing that will be maintenance free is fooling themselves! We ran a F1R to achieve our RWHP #. I was logging HP and other Load factors when the cog belt sheared and reversed calculated that it took 175HP to spin that compressor! I was shocked! To push a nice Five to Six hundred RWHP is realworld. Having 700+ on the street is like having a 10 inch *****; you have a lot of bragging rights but the novice cant handle it!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Thomas
WELL SAID!
Anyone thinking that this is an easy and cheap thing that will be maintenance free is fooling themselves! We ran a F1R to achieve our RWHP #. I was logging HP and other Load factors when the cog belt sheared and reversed calculated that it took 175HP to spin that compressor! I was shocked! To push a nice Five to Six hundred RWHP is realworld. Having 700+ on the street is like having a 10 inch *****; you have a lot of bragging rights but the novice cant handle it!
is it linear in ***** size? 8"=800hp, 9"=900hp,etc. hehe
Old 04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It says flywheel hp not rwhp.
I would think doable with forged parts at least pistons and rods and even a d1sc.
800flywheel tiimes 15 is 680rwhp??? Or is my math wrong.
Times 20 is 640rwhp.
And yoiu can go to f1 blower or vortech or novi .And for a bit more can go 402 or 408.
I say do it and see how close you get.Hey I can tell you that even 500 to 600rwhp is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this thread is old (2004) - 6 years ago.

The story is a little different today. Better heads, thicker decks, better tuning software, better SC drive system (reverse, SDCE, 8 rib conversions) and tribal knowledge has made 800 hp pretty easy to obtain.

You have to remember that when some of us started modifying these things a 400 RWHP heads cam package was pretty damn impressive.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Last time I checked a lil 433ci LSx motor throughout 1000hp crank at 9000rpms+

I wouldn't let this guy touch my motor, period. You sound like you may have your mind up and that is fine, but don't come crying when he tells you "See!, I told you it was crap."
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back from the dead lol...needless to say AFASTYZFR1 just put down 764RWHP (FWHP add 15%) through a built 347 with a D1 lol
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Reckless
"hell yeah...throw a three-quarter race cam in there and make about 1200 hp"

All kidding aside, it could be done I believe, but not with his attitude. And if he hasn't been building LS1s, then he has his work cut out. How many SBC or BBC motors were making 500rwhp (all motor) and driving on the street 5 years after their inception? I doubt the SBC hit 500rwhp until after 10+ years and that was in race only motors. I could prolly say the same for a BBC. These things take time.
This is an old thread but entertaining to read.

The first BBC was actually the Mark II 427 and it was assembled for Nascar racing. Design was watered down to the Mark IV and first put into the 65 Corvette with 396 inches and 425 hp rating. I doubt it took 10 years to get the 500 hp range.

The L88 and ZL1 427's probably had as good at shot at getting close to 500 rwhp range as anything out till the recent LS9. These really were race motors for the street and pretty hard core for their day. Cars came with heater & radio delete!
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my garbage LS1 made 650 to the wheels and was greatly reliable..
it had a cam, headers, maggie,cold air intake, and a 50 shot...everything else was stock on it...so to say they are junk he is smokin crack...

if i put heads a fast intake and stuff im sure it would of been in the 700's,but at some point reliability has to be a thought...im sure 800 at the crank is very possible,just not as reliable.I would go to a guy that works on these motors not some old school guy that just dables with em...
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Teching In

What a blast from the past.... Parts are a lot better now. We have gone way over the 1000 crank hp with a cast iron block, afr's and F1R w/18 psi on 104 oct. We run 9.5 sec ET's LOL! Now I'm assembling a LSX tall deck! Heeee heeeeee! 476 CID with an F2 compressor. I guess size does matter!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thomas
What a blast from the past.... Parts are a lot better now. We have gone way over the 1000 crank hp with a cast iron block, afr's and F1R w/18 psi on 104 oct. We run 9.5 sec ET's LOL! Now I'm assembling a LSX tall deck! Heeee heeeeee! 476 CID with an F2 compressor. I guess size does matter!

HAHA Yea I am a newbie to LS1's and the forum and this thread just took me through, lets see it was posted in 2004 and we are in 2010 , so 6 years of LS1 History! LOL...

Quick Reply: 800 FlyWHP