Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overboost suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overboost suggestions??

I have a t76gts on a stock cubic inch ls1. At first I had a turbosmart 38mm wastegate trying to hold it down to 7 psi and found out that it wasn't going to cut, so then I stepped up to a TiAL 44mm wastegate hoping this would fix my overboosting problem, the TiAL has a 7.25 psi spring in it and I'm still seeing around 12 psi.

I know people have held a lot lower boost than that on a t76 with a 44mm wg...I'm looking for suggestions why mine won't hold it down that low??
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert by any means but as long as your connections to the wg are referenced good and you have chosen a wg that is big enough to "bleed" off enough exhaust gas to limit the spool of the turbo (whether it's the 38 or the 44) I would definitely look at the routing/positioning of the exhaust pipe of your wg and where your wg is positioned after the header. If there is restrictions on either, that will definitely hinder the ability of the wg to control the boost.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Launching!

I don't think I should have any problems with the position of the wastegate, as Josh at KYTP built the crossover for me. The wg is referenced to the manifold after the throttle body so I'm not really sure why it won't hold the boost at 7-8 psi.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tkimrey
I have a t76gts on a stock cubic inch ls1. At first I had a turbosmart 38mm wastegate trying to hold it down to 7 psi and found out that it wasn't going to cut, so then I stepped up to a TiAL 44mm wastegate hoping this would fix my overboosting problem, the TiAL has a 7.25 psi spring in it and I'm still seeing around 12 psi.

I know people have held a lot lower boost than that on a t76 with a 44mm wg...I'm looking for suggestions why mine won't hold it down that low??
Wastegate placement is very important and you wrote the Josh build you crossover. Do you have any pic's of where it mounted? My car runs a 76mm and I'm using the turbonetics gate and have no issues at 8 psi. I have the gate mounted on the outside radius of a 2 1/2 bend just before the turbo where the pipes merge together.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Launching!

here is a pic with the turbosmart 38mm on it.

Quick Reply: Overboost suggestions??