Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Boost ?

I want to know what is the difference between turbo and supercharger boost , how does each one feel in the car . How different are they to drive?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a supercharger and turbo both force air into the motor, the one side of both do the same thing, but the turbo is spun using the exhaust pressure and the supercharger is spun off the crankshaft. ill let ya know how a turbo car feels when im done with mine. ive been in a procharged lt1 and that ***** felt torqy and was pree loud
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know how they work , just want to know how it feel's in the seat?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

That's almost impossible to categorize, because each setup is different. You can't just drive in one turbo car and say "Wow, I know Kung Fu!". Same for a blower car. Probably the one that stands out the most is a Roots or twinscrew with gobs of torque right off idle.

Jim
Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^ +1^^^^^
also most turbo cars have very different setups so one turbo car can feel completely different from another
let alone to compare to sc cars
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

most of the time, the supercharged cars are very linear in power, meaning the power is directly related to rpm. more revs' more boost , more power...

the turbo stuff has no fixed or less relationship to engine rpm.
turbo cars , if step up correctly, come on stronger down lower in rpm
Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

I cant really speak for a turbo car as Ive never owned on but the only I can explain how my s/c car feels is if you remember ever riding in an older 4 barrel carb car expecially a quadrajet carb car you could ride around quite normal on the front barrels but when you press the peddle down further and the back barrels (bigger barrels) open up it runs like a bat out of hell. You can multiply that by quite a bit with a s/c.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have only had N/A and now turbo. I am not sure about the s/c side of the world but with the setup i have right now it gives two pushes (into the seat) the 1st one is when I mash on the gas lol it will sit you back as the motor is strong already and you're like ok that way nice then the 2nd one when it goes into the boost powerband, it really sits you back like in a roller-coaster (how it's described by my fam). The time in between isn't really that much I would say the 1st kind prepares your stomach for what's about to happen.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

I can tell you when the turbo goes in to boost it becomes hyperspace.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can compare boost like Spaceball's the 1st part of it is ludicrous speed and then you go plaid
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skipjobe
I can tell you when the turbo goes in to boost it becomes hyperspace.
No man, that's NAWZ you're talking about.

Jim
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All FI have their own unique feel . And of course a lot depends on how crazy the setup is,how much power its making, how big the engine ,lots of variables.
I have been in two ati car. One near stock lt1 and one near stock ls1. Both were fun and felt great as you climb up in rpm. Sort of a faster and faster feeling. I have owned a BBC with roots type blower and that was a torque monster from super low rpm and it pulled very hard but not that high up for redline on that motor. And it was in an 8000 pound vehicle.
I have been in two sts turbo cars lt1 and ls1 both near stock. And again they were fun but turbo hits harder lower in the rpm band than super.It can get full boost at like 3000 rpm and hold that to redline. So just a big rush that just increases and increases unless the turbos are too small for the motor then they can die up in the higher rpm. And if turbos are too big you can have more lag and then you get the boost happening higher up in the rpm like on my talons.

Here is what driving my 99TT is like . Baby it around town and you can stay pretty much out of boost , the 408 with the 3.54 gear still pulls itself around pretty smartly off boost. It idles very nice with its pretty mild cam and the stall doesn't feel that loose at all.
Now hammer it at pretty much any speed up to 80mph on anything less than actual drag tires and it can lay infinite rubber. The boost hits and would say is full in by 3000 or so on the 408. This is still on the smaller turbos haven't installed the bigger ones yet they will increase spool 300 rpm or so. But she hits hard and only running around 750 engine right now not even pushing it yet and it pulls to 6000 or so and it pulls as they say like a train. As read once i article about twin turbo small block in this car called a vector..it feels like the hand of god pushing you in the back!
Very addictive. But boost is boost and super,turbos all are going to feel pretty similar. Just messing around with where in the powerband the fun happens. Roots really low like 2000 rpm and you can be making huge torque. Twin screw are similar but can carry things higher in the rpm band. Turbos hit usually around middle like 3000 or so and carry the power if sized right to redline. Centrifugals are a bit weak down low going up thru the gears but if you rev higher on launch they can still put out good boost with no lag.

Advantages of turbo is you can control the boost in various ways to help out traction.
Ramping its called. You can ramp by rpm, time ,gear. One big advantage over supers.

While I love turbos and have them in my 97 talon, 91 talon and my 99TT .I still might get a procharger on my ls1 96z just for something a bit different.

Quick Reply: Boost ?