Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

exhaust support....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 03:58 AM
TECH Regular

Default exhaust support....

I am swapping an LSx in place of the old SBC in my S10 and something occured to me about the exhaust; on the SBC, the only support for the exhaust on the front is the headers and no other hanger until after the cab ( right before the rear end actually ) . So im wondering how my weight I can hang on the turbos as far as exhaust goes? Id like to just run the downpipe down and back and support it in the same place as its set up now, but do I need to put more support on this thing farther up, closer to the turbos to curb any potential damage to them?
Old 05-21-2010 | 07:34 AM
Launching!

i dont think it would hurt, just add a hanger to each side
Old 05-21-2010 | 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any exhaust shop can add some additional hangers. Won't hurt anything.
Old 05-21-2010 | 01:14 PM
TECH Regular

ok well I can get under and add more hangers, but what kind of weight can you put on the exhaust side of a turbo? Im curious as to how careful I need to be with them to not break them? can they support nothing? no weight at all, or will the exhaust shaking around hanging off the back be okay?
Old 05-21-2010 | 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
ok well I can get under and add more hangers, but what kind of weight can you put on the exhaust side of a turbo? Im curious as to how careful I need to be with them to not break them? can they support nothing? no weight at all, or will the exhaust shaking around hanging off the back be okay?
You can't get it on a lift at an exhaust shop?
Old 05-21-2010 | 06:45 PM
Launching!

it depends, if your turbo is braced really well, you wouldnt have a problem hanging the entire pipe from it and the back hanger.if you are worried about the added weight causing problems, then add the hangers
Old 05-22-2010 | 03:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89LS1RS
it depends, if your turbo is braced really well, you wouldnt have a problem hanging the entire pipe from it and the back hanger.if you are worried about the added weight causing problems, then add the hangers
This is what I was looking for! I just literally dont have a clue what you could put on the turbo for stress. I will add some additional hangers regardless, I just wanted to make sure that a little movement and weight wouldnt be a huge concern for the turbo housing. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: exhaust support....