Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS 20g turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS 20g turbo question

Does anyone know if the turbos coolant system is totaly seperated from the lubrication system or is there a seal of some kind in the coolant system? The reason I ask is because I found coolant in my oil and thought it was coming from the turbo. I recently had the engine out and tore it down, cleaned it up and put it back together. The only other reason I can think of is that coolant would have been in the oil because of the headgaskets. I have a 6.0 and the engine builder put 5.7 head gaskets on it (since have been replaced with the 6.0 gaskets.) Not sure how different these headgaskets are other than bore size.

I was going disconnect the coolant lines but am having a hard time finding caps for the coolant nipples that come off the engine. I rather keep them hooked up too.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes the coolant and the oil are separated. lol.. if you have a bad turbo it might mix the two.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first installed my new 408 and aps kit when we started it up and within a minute or two my buddy yelled shut it down and my oil was full of coolant!
I first thought it was my new 408 maybe cracked block. Or my new afr cracked head,or wrong head gasket.I used ls7 on the afr 225 and while think its the steam holes don't line up perfectly they seem to work ok for last 7000 miles but will swap them for likely cometic or ls9 head gaskets when have the heads off.
Anyway back on topic. One of my aps turbos had internal crack in it. This let massive amonts of coolant into the oil but no oil in coolant.
I did the simplest thing.I have only been running oil cooling to these and not the water cooling.I found some caps think you need AN caps. Buddy put them on for me. So 7000 miles with oil cooling only. I do think my aps turbos are crapping the bed now anyway my boost has become erratic and the car is surging ,this has happened just lately but the turbos likely would have died no matter what being most likley chinese knock offs.
I do have the LG turbos sitting in a box on shelf and will be tearing car down in next few days and installing them.

So what should you do. You can run them oil cooling for now and see if your coolant problem goes away.I had to change out my oil a lot and did it like 5 times in 500 miles but its been crystal clear since the first change out and obviously it is the turbo but which one don't know. So left both oil cooled only. I think could maybe test with compressed air or maybe smoke machine but for now don't care .

So try oil only the water cooling was actually optional on the 20gs.It helps with the older oil so you don't get coking which don't happen much with modern oils and woudl think it would keep temps down.
I intend to run my water cooling again with the LG turbos.

And you can mabye try kando dynamic drop in tdo6 H center carts off ebay in place of the aps centers. They are plug and play and are supposed to be actual mits centers.
Few guys on board are running them either now or soon. Hugger Z, you can do some searching. You can swap out the drivers side without dropping the kmember but the passenger side pretty sure you have to drop that kmember .
Thats one reason have kept the aps on there till now didn't want to drop the kmember but my aps are getting erratic for boost so unless have boost leak they are dying.

Good news is the aps turbos are just standard mits type . They use their own exhaust housing but otherwise as said just a tdo6 H center and they offer them oil cooled or oil and water cooled. The kando are like 400 each. The LG are like 1400 each.But the LG can do 70lb min or about 1400 engine hp. The aps were 50lb/min supposedly or 1000 engine hp. Shame aps cut corners on at least some of the f body kits. Real mits turbos are very reliable had lots of them on my talons. Nothing to see a stock mits go way over 100,000 miles.

Of course if you disconnect the turbos and still get coolant it is block,heads or head gasket.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I posted pics of my old JUNK ***, JAP turbos last year and it would have to be a crack of some sort in the center cartraig itself to allow coolant to mix with the oil (Who knows with these pieces of **** though!)
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

im with these two^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Ok. I will cap the coolant lines. I did plan on getting the LG turbos next year i hope.

Quick Reply: APS 20g turbo question