Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost jumping around normal or turbo fubared?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Boost jumping around normal or turbo fubared?

Ok noticing some surging lately ,could be tuning but think its turbo problem.
Its harder to check boost at full wot do to the speeds the car gets too and haven't got copilot to watch boost gage for me.

But when I put it into boost at say half throttle and hold throttle steady I am seeing like 4,2,3,4,2 type of think happening. I would think this is obviously showing the turbos are not working right. At least one of them .
This is on my stock aps turbos not my LG turbos. Lg turbos have not been installed but will be shortly. Just wanted to try to run the aps a bit longer.Course with two its hard to know if one or both is problem. I have not checked shaft play on them lately. checked a few months back and the drivers side was fine and never checked the passenger side but then wasn't noticing the surging. And not seeing any clouds of smoke yet either.
Old 06-03-2010 | 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Holding the throttle steady? Unless it is an electronic throttle body and you are commanding it to open 50% this is pretty much impossible to maintain. What waste gate springs do you have?

Gates open and close - depending on the size you may see a little movement up and down.

Need to check this at WOT and log it somehow. That will give you a better read on what is going on.
Old 06-03-2010 | 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah just holding throttle constant non electronic throttle ,high enough to get boost. I guess can log it. Mostly curious more than anything else since changing out the turbos in next few days. I guess it could be turbos,boost leak or maybe gates sticking.