Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate Question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Wastegate Question!

I have a New Turbo Smart PowerGate 50mm that i acquired for next to nothing. There are 3 settings (14,21,28 PSI) and I only want to run 7-10 PSI. It comes with 3 springs the 7 PSI Inner, 14 PSI Outer, 21 PSI Outer

Now here is where the question is.....Would it be possible for me to just run the 7 PSI inner spring and no outer spring and keep it around 7-10, or could it cause problems that im just not seeing here?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rob238449
I have a New Turbo Smart PowerGate 50mm that i acquired for next to nothing. There are 3 settings (14,21,28 PSI) and I only want to run 7-10 PSI. It comes with 3 springs the 7 PSI Inner, 14 PSI Outer, 21 PSI Outer

Now here is where the question is.....Would it be possible for me to just run the 7 PSI inner spring and no outer spring and keep it around 7-10, or could it cause problems that im just not seeing here?

Thanks in advance!
From what you posted I agree with running just the inner spring for 7 psi. SEEMS logical since you own it give it a shot no other spring combination will keep boost as low.

If it were me I would do a short 2nd gear pull with a 2 bar map so you can record the reading and verify the tune and boost levels are where you want.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Turbosmart Pro-gate 48mm. It comes factory assemled with the 7psi outer spring which is what they recommend for the most flow. They include 4 other springs with mine to achieve higher psi ratings. one of them is a 7psi inner spring. Yours comes factory with the 14psi outer spring along with 3 other springs. Although you have a 7psi inner spring I think it's only for upping the psi rating. I think your supposed to use an outer spring no matter what. check here

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/install/PowerGate50.pdf

then here to see what I'm saying

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/install/ProGate48.pdf

I think a boost controller may be in order.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Teching In

HMMM.......Thats exactly what i was thinking prey, but i thought a boost controller would only regulate boost up and not down? Since the lowest outer spring i have is 14 PSI that may be out of the question....

I contacted turbosmart and spoke with the service rep's and they told me i would be able to run the 7 PSI inner spring alone. I hope he knows what he's talking about, or im going to be one pissed off customer!

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply: Wastegate Question!