Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Ya, probably has the stock 10 year old tstat in it. haha
Swap that sucker.........its probably all rough and nasty with surface build-up.....

Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

I was gonna start a thread about something..maybe you know since you have aftermarket fans.

Is there a fan out there that will fit into the factory shroud..but put out alot more cfm then the factory fans do? So still keep it a puller fan that will plug right up to the factory harness plugs.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt theres many fans out there that will outflow the stock fans, they are amazing. I ended up getting new connectors and re doing the wiring. Wasnt that bad.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I doubt theres many fans out there that will outflow the stock fans, they are amazing. I ended up getting new connectors and re doing the wiring. Wasnt that bad.
Thats cool. Mine are 12 year old factory originals and I just figured I'd get some new ones because these are not gonna last much longer, I don't think. I'll just get factory replacements than.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
There's alot of things going on IMO. ...... fans coming on at factory settings.

His setting are not even close to factory fan settings.

You need the air dam.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Ill see what I can figure out. Its very intermittent so itll overheat when it wants to....lol
Old 06-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
His setting are not even close to factory fan settings.
Yeah, I should have said "to high" of a setting still and a stock t-stat.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
That's nasty stuff. The system must be COMPLETELY free of ANY water or antifreeze. Whatever it touches, it stays on. And track officials love it when it gets on the track. Also, it raises operating temp but doesn't boil or expand which is supposed to keep hot spots to a minimum. Personally, I would stick with water and water wetter unless you live in a freexing climate.

OP, did you remove the plastic airbridge that mounts to the bottom radiator support? That thing is VERY important.
They make it now where you can have up to 5% antifree in your system before installing it. Ive never heard of it raising your operating temp either LOL This stuff is made to pull (MORE)heat from your heads and engine and turbos BETTER then any type of antifree out on the market today. Its kinda like an oil based product too . It freezes at -40 and boils at 375 F. I run at 180 all day long ,,,Even in the Hot summer months when its over 90deg or hotter outside with that BIG *** APS intercooler blocking the whole front of my rad .It Raises operating tempature ???LOL Who would make and try to sell such a product?You need to do alittle research and read up on it on there site before making disclaimers like this !JMOIt is VERY important to take your time when filling the system though and even losen up the vent tubes from the block to help bleed your system of any air beings that it is thicker then antifree MAYBE YOU OR A BUDDY had a vapor lock or something which could cause the higher operating temp you stated? EVANS also recomends using one of their themistates when using their coolant as it has an 2 holes built into it to help bleed the system

Last edited by barnat; 06-27-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
They make it now where you can have up to 5% antifree in your system before installing it. Ive never heard of it raising your operating temp either LOL This stuff is made to pull (MORE)heat from your heads and engine and turbos BETTER then any type of antifree out on the market today. Its kinda like an oil based product too . It freezes at -40 and boils at 375 F. I run at 180 all day long ,,,Even in the Hot summer months when its over 90deg or hotter outside with that BIG *** APS intercooler blocking the whole front of my rad .It Raises operating tempature ???LOL Who would make and try to sell such a product?You need to do alittle research and read up on it on there site before making disclaimers like this !JMOIt is VERY important to take your time when filling the system though and even losen up the vent tubes from the block to help bleed your system of any air beings that it is thicker then antifree MAYBE YOU OR A BUDDY had a vapor lock or something which could cause the higher operating temp you stated? EVANS also recomends using one of their themistates when using their coolant as it has an 2 holes built into it to help bleed the system
We ran it in LS2Formulas car when it was a nitrous setup. I'll find some info on it. It was driving us crazy. It does pull more heat of the motor and heads but it reads like 10* hotter on the gage. Take it out and put in water with water wetter and you'll see.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

We ran it in LS2Formulas car when it was a nitrous setup. I'll find some info on it. It was driving us crazy. It does pull more heat of the motor and heads but it reads like 10* hotter on the gage. Take it out and put in water with water wetter and you'll see.
Hum? I was going to go with the water wetter years ago but didnt want to drain every winter as my garage isnt heated and i still love to drive her on those cold days before the snow starts as thats when any car really runs at their best LOL
Old 06-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
Hum? I was going to go with the water wetter years ago but didnt want to drain every winter as my garage isnt heated and i still love to drive her on those cold days before the snow starts as thats when any car really runs at their best LOL
If the car is running cool with it in there, it's definetly better for everything. I would leave it. Not to mention that it's pretty expensive IIRC.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is running cool with it in there, it's definetly better for everything. I would leave it. Not to mention that it's pretty expensive IIRC.
Yea,I had no plans on removing it and yes it is a bit pricey LOL 2 good thing is, that its good to 500,000 miles and doesn't funk up aluminium heads or rad after years of use like the antifreez does
Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several things to try.
160 stat and I set my fans to come on at 160. I guess 180 is fine and might as well have them both come on then. Redline water wetter or royal purple ice is cheap and easy to add and you can run it with 50/50 mix . For sure the cars need that air dam.They pull from the bottom. But if you have opened up the front then maybe not as necessary.
I was hoping some company would offer high flow fans with aluminum shroud. I got rad and shroud/fan from mishimoto company on my 91 talon. Fit like glove and works great.Going to get it for my 97 talon as well. I got big pricey Ron Davis rad and wish they would offer the fan shroud setup for it. Might have to custom something up.

I also installed a high flow water pump not sure brand it was not super expensive like the edelbrock. I took off my underdrive also and went to non underdrive fluidampr.

My biggest thing right now is likely as running my trans fluid thru the Ron Davis.
So engine temps likely pull up the trans temp and vice versa.
I wanted to heat up the trans some as do drive the car in colder weather in spring and fall . Not quite as cold as Alaska up here but it gets pretty damn cold.

I have seen around 212 max so far on about 85 degree day for both trans and engine temp. I am planning to try to get my trans cooler possibly by adding deep trans pan like derale just a bit unsure on ground clearance but my car is not lowered. Also thinking to get different aux cooler or improve cooling to my current trans cooler. Was going to try some synthetic engine oil think they will drop temps some as well and wondering if maybe should install oil cooler if that would help engine temps?
I am also running my aps turbos oil cooled only until install the new LG turbos not sure if that has much effect on engine coolant temps.

I was looking at evans as maybe last resort but so far not seeing crazy temps but don't run air much around town . Just take off t tops or open windows was even thinking to remove the air from my car. Save some weight and improve cooling. But its a street car so for now keeping it. 212 is not that bad for engine coolant heck most ls1 run think hottter than that stock. But dont like my trans to be above 200 and 180 or even lower would be nice.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

I picked up a 160 tstat today. How much coolant should I put in this thing? Ive been doing about 50/50 but Im not really worried about freezing the water really. Would water have better heat dissipation than coolant?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The therm has minimal effect really .The fans do a lot more . Get them set low to both come on at 180 or even 160 and see how that helps. The water wetter works think best the more water you put in versus coolant but unless you want to be changing coolant and water mix in winter you better run 50/50 like me.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you guys getting your 160* thermostats. The local shops to me want $70 when a 180* one is only $25 from them. Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

I went to a local parts store and they had one for 45$. No one else in town had em.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Ive changed out the t stat and added in the Purple Ice Ive had forever, now Im changing the tune so the fans kick on earlier. I mixed the water and coolant to about 70/30 Hopefully this works.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

So it looks like Im having a wiring issue. I changed both fans to turn on at 165 and off at 155. The puller(probably the most important) is not turning on. I fiddled with the connector and the fan started working.

I had overheating issues a while ago with 2 pushers so I swapped one around. I had no issues for about a month, then this intermittent overheating started. Im keeping the airdam off. lol
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

I havent even fixed the wiring problem and Im sitting at a consistent 190ish now. I have no idea if my 2nd fan is even turning on lol

Quick Reply: Overheating issue