Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo piping measurements

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo piping measurements

Hey all, I'm trying to get a custom rear mount turbo kit set up and am wondering if anyone by chance has some measurements for the piping on a setup with an intercooler like the STS system is set up. I'm not really sure how to measure all that and am getting pretty confused...
I'm thinking about having a guy on here fab up the system so he would need all of the measurements. If anyone has the specs on something like this, I would really appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

advice-

go to a local exhaust shop and have him make new pipes, get a t4 exhaust flange off ebay or one of our fine sponsors--------------------------------------------------->>>>

have them hang the turbo and start bending, or use mandrel bends. its really pretty darn easy, and i bet by the time someone fabbed it and shipped it, it would have been way cheaper to go to the exhaust shop.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Good point. I called STS yesterday and they wanted $1500 just for the freakin pipes. No clamps, no couplers, just pipes.
I have a feel it would be a bit cheaper even with labor to have an exhaust shop build it for me. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to get my car to the shop and back while the car is torn apart. Might have to find a trailer to borrow.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say go the exhaust shop. I have all the bends programed into my mandrel bender. Probably half the work I get is from exhaust shops doing it wrong. There are so many variables that its really hard to do a bolt on. The flange placement changes, even on many t4 housing turbos. What if you mount the intercooler differently then I made the pipes for on how I mount intercoolers? With a maf? Or SD.....with alky nozzle bosses? ait sensor bung. There a few other things that most exhaust shops are not even capable of. Then if you can get rid of even a couple boots and couplers your saving money. Good clamps are about 5$ each, plus silicon....so about 15$ a joint atleast and up. Transitions........well....

I guess it just depends on what your looking for and what your expecting, and if they are indeed the same thing.

edit:.....Lets break it down...

tow...$125
exhaust shop pipes...500?
local coating (you quoted sts at 1500, but they are coated) 300.

so thats 925 compared to sts at 1500.......I dont even like sts (but they have their place) and you ll get pipes that are not mandrel, made by someone that has ZERO experience, and thats IF they do it at 500.....

hmmmm

Last edited by 1320; 06-30-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam86
Hey all, I'm trying to get a custom rear mount turbo kit set up and am wondering if anyone by chance has some measurements for the piping on a setup with an intercooler like the STS system is set up. I'm not really sure how to measure all that and am getting pretty confused...
I'm thinking about having a guy on here fab up the system so he would need all of the measurements. If anyone has the specs on something like this, I would really appreciate it.
you know this is funny....in one post you say 1500 for just freaking pipes....but here you say your not sure, and "pretty confused" then say youll need all the measurements for your fabricator? Thats the point of BEING a fabricator.....you make up the measurements as you go along because you fabricate.

Hey mandrel bends are ony what 15 to 25$ each.....plus time.....thats only about 13-15 bends with no mistakes plus a spool of wire, a couple thousand dollar welder, plus time.....and the small parts. Figure 400 for bends...maybe 6 pack to your buddy, 40 for wire, and your practically done.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Good point. I guess if I perfeced mandrel bends for a custom rear mount, I would probably charge a pretty good amount for the pipes as well. Plus they include all of the flanges and whatnot.
I'm pretty good with a wire feed, but I'm not sure I even want to start to tackle something like this. Guess I'll either hit up the exhaust shop or find someone who would just sell me the piping.

Originally Posted by 1320
you know this is funny....in one post you say 1500 for just freaking pipes....but here you say your not sure, and "pretty confused" then say youll need all the measurements for your fabricator? Thats the point of BEING a fabricator.....you make up the measurements as you go along because you fabricate.

Hey mandrel bends are ony what 15 to 25$ each.....plus time.....thats only about 13-15 bends with no mistakes plus a spool of wire, a couple thousand dollar welder, plus time.....and the small parts. Figure 400 for bends...maybe 6 pack to your buddy, 40 for wire, and your practically done.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

i went to the exhaust shop to have my charge pipe welded, but everything else is mandrel bends. 2.25 off both headers down to a single 3" back to the turbo. The single 3" comes together right where the factory catback bolts on. Piece of cake, and i had them make the cold side from 2.5" pipe. Should work well for now. i have maybe 300 bucks in pipe, IF that.

Quick Reply: Turbo piping measurements