Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Remote mount turbo fab question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote mount turbo fab question

Hey guys, I'm putting together my homegrown remote mount setup right now. I solid mounted my turbo to the body but put a flex joint in the exhaust right before the axle, so I believe I'm covered there. On the charge pipe side, how much movement do I need. I was planning on basically welding on tabs and bolting them solid to the frame. Then putting a silicone connector from turbo to charge pipe, one more at the firewall where it turns up, and finally one at the carb hat to allow for movement there. good enough, or do I need to suspend the charge pipe with hangers? I'm running out of room quick.

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by Uglydog56; 07-10-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Uglydog56
Hey guys, I'm putting together my homegrown remote mount setup right now. I solid mounted my turbo to the body but put a flex joint in the exhaust right before the axle, so I believe I'm covered there. On the charge pipe side, how much movement do I need. I was planning on basically welding on tabs and bolting them solid to the frame. Then putting a silicone connector from turbo to charge pipe, one more at the firewall where it turns up, and finally one at the carb hat to allow for movement there. good enough, or do I need to suspend the charge pipe with hangers? I'm running out of room quick.

Thanks,
Rick
Best to keep the charge pipes closest to the body if possible. Silicone connectors provide extra flexibility already.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some really nice rear mount builds on here you can use as reference for building yours. I am sure space starts to fill up fast back there will all the piping...
Post up some pics of what you've got and people can help you even more if you are looking for it.
GL with the build!
Old 07-11-2010, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Here are a few pics if anyone is interested. Be advised, this is neither an LSx nor an F-body. You guys just know more about rear mount turbos than anyone else period. Yes, I have a huge engine compartment. I didn't want the turbo in it, it ruins the old school vibe I'm shooting for. But I can't stand talking to those idiots on the HAMB, so I'm lurking here.

It's a four door and a 6 cylinder, it can't be fast, right? Shooting for 11.50's.

Last edited by Uglydog56; 07-11-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: bad pic link

Quick Reply: Remote mount turbo fab question