Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cast vs. Tubular Manifolds...back to back dyno

Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cast vs. Tubular Manifolds...back to back dyno

No, it's not a LSx. However, we just designed and have started building direct replacement Evo tubular turbo manifolds for one of our local customers (Fortune Auto). It was pretty neat to see the back to back dyno numbers and figured some of you all might enjoy seeing the comparison even though it is a 4 cyl. time attack car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhFdjzQYZI

Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's an interesting difference. I remember Steve Turley saying that going from truck manifolds to 2'' stainless headers he didn't pick up a thing. Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
That's an interesting difference. I remember Steve Turley saying that going from truck manifolds to 2'' stainless headers he didn't pick up a thing. Obviously this is not an apples to apples comparison.
It surprised me to see the turbo spool sooner. Normally, with a tubular manifold in this application the runners are longer which would promote mid/top in gains with a little higher spool time. This manifold preformed really well everywhere compared to the OEM ported one though.

It just really depends on the entire setup on the car being tested though. In the past we did some testing with a formula team on equal length runners vs. unequal length runners in a turbo application. Was their a difference? Yes, but how many people worry about it... not many. My own personal car has unequal length runners. Same idea with cast vs. tubular on the lsx cars.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great test
Old 07-23-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
i dont think steve got it dynoed but was just using track times to compare, which i doubt you would notice a 10hp increase.
i dont think i would pay for some headers for only 10hp when you can just add a pound more of boost.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
i dont think steve got it dynoed but was just using track times to compare, which i doubt you would notice a 10hp increase.
i dont think i would pay for some headers for only 10hp when you can just add a pound more of boost.
Depends on your outlook on it and under what rules you race. In a class limited to a certain turbo, 10hp here and there adds up, especially when you look at area under the curve on a road race car. I know plenty of people who have paid a lot more than $800 for less than 10 hp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cast vs. Tubular Manifolds...back to back dyno