Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trickflow Vs. AFR heads for FI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 171 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm looking at TFS 220cc as cast heads with Inconnel exhaust valves. They are around $1650 and another $100 or so for the valve upgrade.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was considering a 427LSX with 6-bolt TFS 235. the reason being because of the 6-bolt. all depends on how much cash i can come up with. i would much rather have the peace of mind of a 6-bolt set-up.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Why?

As stated, the AFR is a direct factory replacement head. It changes no geometry and can use the stock rockers without issue. AFR's customer service is FAR superior to TFS/TEA. I've had to deal with issues with both brands. The difference was that AFR went above and beyond to make it right and presented NO fight on the matter.

Both seem to perform about the same. TFS does have the 6 bolt option though if you are building a 6 bolt block.

Our geometry is the same as the LS6 but the valves are rolled to the 13.5 degree valve angle. We recommend after market roller rockers due to the results we have seen in testing on our heads as well as our competitors heads on our dyno. You can run stock rockers with our heads but you will void your warranty. We will NOT warranty any of our LS heads that have been ran with stock rocker arms.

Please PM me with what your customer service issues have been with our company.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
Our geometry is the same as the LS6 but the valves are rolled to the 13.5 degree valve angle. We recommend after market roller rockers due to the results we have seen in testing on our heads as well as our competitors heads on our dyno. You can run stock rockers with our heads but you will void your warranty. We will NOT warranty any of our LS heads that have been ran with stock rocker arms.

It's all here in the first couple of pages starting around post #16 then jumps to #168. Feel free to check it out. It's just too long of a story to type out all over again. Feel free to respond via PM, here or in the thread below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c78s-kytp.html

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 07-30-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all here in the first couple of pages starting around post #16 then jumps to #168. Feel free to check it out. It's just too long of a story to type out all over again. Feel free to respond via PM, here or in the thread below.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...c78s-kytp.html
First of all TEA and TFS are two seperate companies. Mike at TEA is responsable for the product he ships and from what I have read it looks like me made some valid points as well as yourself. I am not saying anyone was right or wrong in this matter but TFS was never brought into it from what I have seen or contacted over this matter.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this shouldn't be a problem. i already have a brand new set of yella terra rockers
Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I bought my TFS 225cc from Ron at Vengeance Racing, and would fully reccomend him.

Then when I blew my engine up and damaged the heads, I returned them to TEA, and they repaired the heads to a very very high standard with a fast turnaround.

I would say the service from both companies was second to none.

Fully reccommend them both.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Restricted User

First of all TEA and TFS are two seperate companies. Mike at TEA is responsable for the product he ships and from what I have read it looks like me made some valid points as well as yourself. I am not saying anyone was right or wrong in this matter but TFS was never brought into it from what I have seen or contacted over this matter.
Then Mike at TEA lied to us as he clearly told us that it was TFS's decision not to replace both castings even though Steve spent many hours and over $1,000 dollars in machine work chasing a problem caused by a defective head casting. He used "waiting on a decision from TFS" to justify a delay in making a decision on the matter as if TFS was clear across the country and difficult to reach. We finally decided to contact TFS direct and realized that the phone numbers are one digit apart and the addresses seemed to be in the same building.

EDIT:I have been asked by one of the Admins to clarify what it was that TEA/TFS did for Steve as my posts may have misled people into thinking that TEA/TFS did nothing to correct the problem. Their final offer/compromise was to replace the defective casting and machine the deck down to match the good casting and move all the hardware over or for Steve to purchase the second casting effectively giving him a new set of heads and move all the hardware over. He took the second option. What we expected was a new set of heads to replace the set with the defective head and the lingering doubt that the other one may not be right either. 8/9/10

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 08-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I bought my TFS 225cc from Ron at Vengeance Racing, and would fully reccomend him.

Then when I blew my engine up and damaged the heads, I returned them to TEA, and they repaired the heads to a very very high standard with a fast turnaround.

I would say the service from both companies was second to none.

Fully reccommend them both.
You're talking apples and oranges here. Steve had a problem with a defective casting that they acknowledged. Then they did "all they could do" and told him it was fair. At that point, his 2 options were to take the deal or eat **** basically. It wasn't stated but it was clearly implied. At that time, I composed an email to them on Steve's behalf stating that this could turn out to be some really good free advertising for them on a very high visibility thread (currently over 30,000 views). Seems like a bad business decision to me. I then gave TEA another chance to refund the cost of the casting and I would clean up the thread and remove all mention of this incident. They passed and even implied that somehow this is a form of extortion. I feel it is our only recourse. That's why the internet is great. It means that the fucked consumer doesn't have to stay fucked.

AFR on the other hand issued a recall for the valve tips wearing prematurely due to a bad batch of valves that they got. They proactively posted the recall on LS1Tech and other forums. They picked up the freight both ways, replaced the valves, lapped the seat/valve, supplied a set of head gaskets and cut a check for $450 for labor and fluids. That's customer service.

Getting what you paid for is not great service. It's just expected.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Getting what you paid for is not great service. It's just expected.
When you're 5000 miles away, it is GREAT service. As many companies dont even want to know.
Whether it be selling parts, or should the need arise repairing.

It may be different when you're on their doorstep, but when you aren't it can be difficult to get any service at all.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

That's why the internet is great. It means that the fucked consumer doesn't have to stay fucked.
Amen

I've never bought from TFS, TEA or AFR, but I've heard only amazing things about AFR's customer service, but I have heard shady things about TFS. I'm sure TFS has great heads, but if the customer service blows, then who gives a ****? Especially if it's a casting **** up

EDIT: Probably should have included that I have heard good things about TFS though and that from what I had read in the above mentioned thread, it did seem that TFS did at least try *shrugs*

Last edited by SnIpEz; 07-31-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Trickflow Vs. AFR heads for FI?