Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What should I do? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I do? Help!

I run an Holset HX60 turbo (had it laying around) which produces way more boost than I need and the boost comes on fairly late for my use (apx. 3500 rpm)

The thing is that I just wiped out two rod bearings that took the crank with it.
Right now I am back to the stock crank with Eagle rods and Mahle pistons. This will put the boost rpm even higher......

My concern is that I think I need a smaller turbo - even with the 383. The engine sees very few hours of running time because it is only used for 4x4 offroad hill climbs.
Due to this type of racing with frequent rollovers and a lot of dirt I just cannot justify to myself the price of a Garrett or similar priced turbo.

Sooooo - I have looked at a couple of cheapo turbos on ebay. I know that they have lower quality and most of you will say NO !!
I know all of this, but will rather replace a cheap turbo every now and then than breaking and replacing an expensive turbo due to dirt.

My question is: will I be better off with a 76mm or a 88mm on my engine at 347 cui?
Right now my setup is this:
LS1 block at 3.905"
Stock crank, Eagle rods and Mahle pistons
Patriot LQ9 CNC heads 70cc w/gold springs and adjustable roller rockers
Stock LS6 intake and ported throttlebody
Comp cam with .581/.588 lift, LS7 lifters and heavy duty pushrods
Aftermarket fuel system capable of over 1100 hp.
Running E85 fuel.

TH400 trans with 4500 stall converter running a transfer case in low range, 9" axles front and rear w/3.89 ratio. Max speed is around 70 mph at 7000 rpm with this.

What if I go back to a 383 - what turbo would be best then?

My engine produces approximately 900 crank hp at 18 psi (but my Holset wants to boost waaaay more).

Sorry for the long post......
Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen your type of racing and agree an expensive turbo would probably get trashed fairly quickly unless you built it a spec chromemoly roll cage
Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yup, that is correct. Parts do not last very long due to sandblasting
The traction is incerdible thanks to paddle tires and fully locked 4wd (spools front and rear)

This is my rig during a race in Denmark in june this year(which I won)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaLMblPgBg
Old 10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just traded for a ht60. how do you like the turbo? I am putting it on a 347 street car and will use a quick spool valve. do you think that turbo would flow enough for 900 rwhp?

Quick Reply: What should I do? Help!