Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Source for cheap and cheap-er turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Source for cheap and cheap-er turbos?

Hi guys, I'm doing the DIY Truck Manifold Kit with a FMIC, and have a few questions.

---As a little background information, I'm on a bet with a friend (who has an On3Performance powered Fox Body Mustang) that a turbo kit for an Fbody, less fuel system, can be built for less than $1,475 (the price of a O3P Fox kit)---

This is one of those "learn from other peoples mistakes because you wont live long enough to make them all yourself" kinda thing.... so... here goes!

I'm aware that its bad mojo for me to be directed off-site by any "non-vendor" approvals or part suggestions, so, if you have one thats nonvendor, please PM me.

1.) Whats the best source for a cheap turbo? O3P sells a 70mm for like 289, and a 76mm for like 325, so is that my best route to get a turbo that will do the job? I'd really like it if one of our vendors sold something like that, or if someone had one just lying around they'd like to part with via some paypal and UPS'age?

2.) Wastegate? Same question ^

3.) What would you guys use for a BOV?

I know you get what you pay for, I also know that it wont be the most power I can make, but I want a working *finished* turbo kit for >1,475.

So far, manifolds, mandrel bends, Mani->Merge Flanges, and and my T4 flange have set me back a WHOPPING $82.73 total.

If I can get injectors budgeted into that 1475 it would REALLY chap his ***.

Any help?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could probably find a cheap o turbo for about 300 bucks but why? do you just hate money? and how much is the bet? i would suggest at the very least a Master Power T70 turbo as they are the bang for the buck turbo around here. you could probably snag a Borg for cheap. just curious but turbo systems are very sensitive and careful planning is needed for a trouble free system. you bolt on a cheap turbo and an even cheaper wastegate and you will find yourself posting carnage pics because you won a bet. i hope the winner gets a new longblock. how about a used MPT70 and Tial 38? that should be less than 500 together.