Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stock LS1 Block and Boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock LS1 Block and Boost

I'm looking to a supercharger this winter in time for next summer. I'm kind of on a budget, so I won't be getting an entire new engine (drool @ 402 or 427). I will either be getting a forged 346 or 383 rotating assembly from Texas-Speed, and keeping the stock block and my aftermarket heads. I will be replacing the cam with one more geared to FI.

Heads:
PRC 5.3L Heads
Milled to 60cc
CNC Ported
LS7 Lifters
7.350" Pushrods
Stock Rockers
PRC Double Valve Springs

Should I replace the heads? They perform exceptionally now, and I'd hate to get rid of a perfectly working set of heads.

I want to push as much boost as I can, since I will not be taking any short cuts (minus the block) with the build. If you want a number out of me...I'm going to try for between 15 and 20 psi. I obviously want the 20psi, but if I can get somewhere between those numbers I'll be happy. HP-wise...as high as I can get...probably try to stay below 1000rwhp.

Is my stock block going to survive? The only thing not being replaced with the rebuild is the block itself, bearings and bolts will be redone with ARP bolts.

Car is going to be for street use mainly...will see the track a few times a year.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock block will be just fine. You'll more than likely need a thicker decked head with that much boost though.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
Stock block will be just fine. You'll more than likely need a thicker decked head with that much boost though.
Explain please...I don't know what that means.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFR heads have one of the thickess head decks out there. This helps them from lifting w/ high boost applications.

A milled stock head may wanna flex more then the thick deck head.

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 Block and Boost