Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Supercharger Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Supercharger Build Advice

I have been debating whether to build a big ci naturally aspirated motor or a supercharge engine. I’m leaning towards fi as I think it will be more reliable, achieve more power, and about the same cost. I have a few questions on what I would need to build an engine to handle the supercharger. I was thinking I would go with a f1 pro charger system. However I’m wondering what I will need to do to the engine to handle that kind of power. This is a street car so I want it to remain reliable and streetable.

Will the stock ls1 motor handle high hp? All I here is you can’t make them very big without sleeving them, I would just bore the cylinders to tighten it up. Will it be strong enough to handle big hp? Will the stock crank handle the power? Seems like a lot are running the stock crank. I will replace the rods, just for safety reasons as it’s a higher mileage engine.

What about heads and intake, will stock heads and stock intake work well? I would upgrade springs and install new valves, and have everything freshened up. Does porting really help much on FI engines? Would you gain much from going to a different head?

I have read pro charger release a new style of intercooler, how does this one piece design work? does it fit well?

Last thing is a cam. I love the sound of a lopy cam, but realize a lot of overlap for a FI car is not good. If I put in a special grind cam for FI can I get one that would lope yet still be optimal for a supercharger? Seems like I have seen some videos of cars on here that had a good rough idle with a supercharger.

Is there anything else I need to think about, or direction you would recommend? what about other superchargers, any other brands I should look into? Any recommendations on pulley size and number of ribs? I’m new to the ls1’s.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do a search on this....these are frequently asked questions, there is a lot of threads that would answer some if not all your questions...

I went ahead and called bob@epp and he answered all my questions(hint)...

Im doing the same as you are except Im running a D1SC...
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the F1 too big for a stock bottom end 346ci. throw an 8-rib d1sc kit on it and run 7 or 8 psi. install a brute speed blower cam with patriot dual gold valve springs, comp 7.400 pushrods, ported oil pump and call it good. the bute speed cam has a rough idle and great drivability. (i run it in my car) it is a blower cam (very little overlap) so it won't leak boost. this should give you the sound, power, and drivability you are looking for. call bob at brute speed he use to run epp

also, i would highly recomend a crank pinning kit.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Build Advice