Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which engine route?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topend
I see what your saying on much your ahead if u go with LSx but on the downside you get an engine that pushes water . Now if you would have a sbc and a LSx engine made to reliably handle 1500hp the cost would nearly be the same.

so far in this thread the original poster has not mentioned the word budget or how much is in his budget.

My 5.3L leaks/burns nearly 2 quarts of oil per oil change interval. Also has piston slap when cold.
Oh come on! I have 2 5.3 silverados, one with 199k, doesn't use a drop of oil, no leaks, runs like new. The other has 248k, uses no oil, has a little piston slap since new.

Best motor ever built to date.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topend
I see what your saying on much your ahead if u go with LSx but on the downside you get an engine that pushes water . Now if you would have a sbc and a LSx engine made to reliably handle 1500hp the cost would nearly be the same.
Pushes water?? LSx engines rarely have issues with pushing water, especially later ones with MLS head gaskets. They are extremely durable and rarely do you see an LS engine that ever needs head gasket replacements. Stock SBC's chew up head and intake gaskets like its their job.

I don't know where you're getting your info from, but its wrong.

so far in this thread the original poster has not mentioned the word budget or how much is in his budget.
Well we can safely assume he's not looking to drop the kind of money it takes to buy a fully race prepped SBC when he could buy a stock cast iron LS block that will take the same amount, if not more power and do it more reliably.

It doesn't take a genius to look at the differences in the engines and understand that aluminum/neoprene gaskets seal better than shitty old paper ones, and a flat plane cast aluminum oil pan with an aluminum gasket seals better than a piece of **** stamped steel one with a cork gasket and crappy rubber end seals with RTV. Use some common sense, you're sounding very ignorant.

My 5.3L leaks/burns nearly 2 quarts of oil per oil change interval. Also has piston slap when cold.

Sounds like your problem. Leaks are not common on these engines.

LS engine have some of the best engine sealing in the industry. The oil consumption is from the PCV, which you obviously do not understand. The piston slap is a known issue on older model engines, but is not detrimental to performance, fuel economy, or engine life.

Quick Reply: Which engine route?!