Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

lq9 turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq9 turbo questions

i have a vortec 5.3 iron block in my rock crawling truck an im looking to turbo it. i have never really messed with these motors or with turbos so im new to all this. i picked up a turbo the other day an it is a borg warner gm 4 turbo an i was wondering if it would work with this motor. what im lookin for by turboin it is im lookin to try an get some more torque an some extra hp but also want it to be very dependable.

any help would be appreciated

thanks jason
Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your 5.3 is not an lq9. You say you have a Borg Warner gm4 turbo, what is that? Do you mean you have a turbo off a 4 cyl. gm car?

For your 5.3 you could most likely do a flipped manifold setup and use a relatively small turbo for instant spool since you do rock crawling and need low end grunt. Don't worry about the engine, stock 5.3's have been abused on here and take the beating.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like i said im new to this stuff was just going by what i was told an the Borg Warner gm4 turbo is off a 6.5 diesel

an for flippin the manifolds i do not have them anymore i have a set of custom built headers an was going to build another set of headers./

i hear the dodge cummins turbos are good any truth to that.

what turbo would you recommend

thanks for the help
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That turbo won't work too well off of a 6.5, its more geared for diesels.

You could build another set of headers for the turbo system but manifolds work just as good and would save you time and money going that route. There are guys who have been mid 7's with flipped manifolds.

There have been people that have used cummins turbos but I would call forced inductions or Josh at kentucky turbo to get something for you. Masterpower makes a T70 turbo thats relatively inexpensive for around 6-700 bucks.

For the low end grunt and instant spool you need I would look at a 61mm turbo let the experts on here figure out your exhaust housing.

Quick Reply: lq9 turbo questions