Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking to go FI which of the 2 kits do you suggest

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to go FI which of the 2 kits do you suggest

I've never built anything FI and am thinking of doing so this winter and am looking at 2 used kits. Both look to be in like new condition.

1 sts rear mount which I will have more info on here soon, its complete minus injectors and fuel pump he wasnt sure about which turbo it had but said he thought it was a t6?? He is going to get back to me soon as to which turbo it is. 1500 miles on entire kit. $1900-2000

2 V-1 T trim vortech supercharger kit from RMCR in CO polished head unit complete minus ati dampner and aftercooler and BOV he said it has about 150 miles on it and then he upgraded to the YSi kit. Comes with big injectors 60 or +lbs and a bosch fuel pump. I can get this for around $2300-2400

I'm not looking to get flamed here.. I might be getting a little ahead of myself buying a used kit before I learn as much as I should, so thats why I'm asking for others opinions.

This is going on my bolt on TA that is mainly a weekend car, I know my 10 bolt will be toast soon with either kit.
My goal is just a real fun street car... no real rwhp number
Im 23 so maybe my definition of streetable is a little more relaxed than others.

I will also put in a cam, oil pump, pushrods, springs (possibly heads) this winter. I will probably stay stock bottom end for about 6-12 months until I go forged.

So mainly I'm just asking whats your opinion on price or which kit you would go with and have room in the future to upgrade.

Thanks guys
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

IDK alot about turbos and I am biased towards SC's but I do like the fact that the SC kit is coming with the pump and injectors. I cannot stress enough on how important fuel delivery is with any FI setup. Also, turbo kits seem to work great and make good power especially per pound of boost and you don't need to worry about belt slip, but I have also seen alot of turbo cars run into many little problems after initial install before they run really well. I have never had any issues with my procharger(similar to a vortech) and I love it. Is the vortech self contained? or do you have to tap the pan? If it is self contained don't forget to get the proper oil for it. Both forms of FI have their advantages and disadvantages it is all up to you to decide what is best.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not self contained.
I really like the idea of going SC, getting a nice size custom spec cam, keeping LT's and the rest of my exhaust or going with 4in mufflex...

Just making sure I get the right kit for my goals and for a good price...
trying to learn as much as I can before I buy one of these kits.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

you have to whatch out some times buying a good deal from someone ends up costing you more in the long run. and if you are talking turbos and Superchargers id would want it new. Going FI is going to cost you some money they is no way around it. but for 2500 bucks you could build and nice setup that would be fun on the street. (if you got the time and place to do it)
i dont like STS kits at all and the V-1 kit is missing some big parts so thats more money right there.
dont rush in to anything take your time save your money for something that is 100%. do some more reading and looking around and get your fueling setup ready. because that is WAY more important than what you end up getting FI wise. i hope this helps some, i have been in your shoes before.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

I've been down that road before with previous cars and I've found that it's best to save the money and buy the stuff new.There's so many different problems you run into with cutting corners and buying used that it ends up costing just as much in the long run. Ofcoarse this is just my personal experience. Others may have had better luck with cutting costs. It all ends up coming down to the fast-reliable-cheep, pick two thing. If I had to chose I'd go SC in your particular case but I really don't like rear mounts at all, so maybe I'm biased.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not buy a used Fi kit either. Save a little longer and get a d1sc. There are a lot of sponsers here that will take care of you.