Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Car PCV Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Turbo Car PCV Question

So I recently moved the my BOV reference line from the back of the intake manifold to a spot on the front of the intake behind the throttle body, with a hose going directly to the BOV. I realized after blowing off the charge pipe on the throttle body that it wasn't working quick enough to release pressure.

As most of you all know, the spot on the front of the intake used to be where a line with a one way check valve in it hooked up to, that looped back down to the ls6 valley cover that has a 3/8" hose port on it where the stock PCV system hooked up originally. So, it would recirculate the pressure back into the intake manifold and keep the smell down, and prevent boost from pressurizing the oiling system.
Before I changed things around, I had one larger breather on the passenger side valve cover and another mini breather on an old PCV hose port on the back of the driver side valvecover, both still intact. When I moved the BOV, that 3/8" port on the ls6 valley cover was now open, so I installed a little mini-breather there. Everything else stayed the same. Now it stinks like nasty oil ALL the time.

My question now is, if I were to run a Y adapter fitting off of the port on the intake behind the throttle body where the BOV is currently hooked up, and hook the BOV line up to one side of the Y, and then have some hose and the one way check valve on the other side of the Y, looped back into the 3/8" hose port on the valley cover, would that function appropriately still allowing the BOV to function as it should, and still have the fumes recirculating back into the intake under vacuum? Or is this asking for trouble?

Below is a diagram for what I'm referring to. I have no other viable source currently to recirculate into the vacuum tract, so making this port work for the BOV and PCV line would be nice. I know that running catch cans may be ideal here, which I may run a separator inline if I do this, but my main reason for this post just wanting to see if this quick fix idea will be ok, or if it will foul up the BOV and make it draw in oil from this port due to the other line hooked up in the Y fitting at the same location.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

there are bunches of other places to get a vac signal from to operate your bov. you can even drill and tap a small hole somewhere else and will be fine.

you dont want to restrict the ventilation to the crank case, in fact you really need at least one line going from valvecover to the air filter area.. cuz once you go into boost with only the above you will pop the dipstick
Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? I ran it like before for over a year with no issues of oil consumption or blowing anything out. I was just hoping for a quick fix for the time being