Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wideband not working or is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Wideband not working or is this normal?

Just installed the wideband today and turn the ignition on did its little calibration then went all the way to red and the screen displayed ---. Started the car and the same thing, nothing changed. Now the car has open headers and its probably 4-5 inches from the end of the collector. I called AEM and they said it was normal for it to not read or read too lean to display on the AFR gauge. I just wanted to make sure that I would infact get no reading or if I should be getting a reading. Surely I am not the only one who has put a wideband in open headers.

Stephen
Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
Just installed the wideband today and turn the ignition on did its little calibration then went all the way to red and the screen displayed ---. Started the car and the same thing, nothing changed. Now the car has open headers and its probably 4-5 inches from the end of the collector. I called AEM and they said it was normal for it to not read or read too lean to display on the AFR gauge. I just wanted to make sure that I would infact get no reading or if I should be getting a reading. Surely I am not the only one who has put a wideband in open headers.

Stephen
Do you have an MSD box?

The LM1 Innovate box I have will not accept the A/C noise from a MSD box...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, my AEM does the same thing when it is cold.... it is off the chart lean so it reads ---. When it is super fat, it just sits on 10.0..... Best of luck
Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

If it is 4-5 inches from the end of the exhaust it will get saturated by the outside air. At higher engine speeds it will be better but most would run some sort of extention on the exhaust.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
If it is 4-5 inches from the end of the exhaust it will get saturated by the outside air. At higher engine speeds it will be better but most would run some sort of extention on the exhaust.
^^^this, your wideband is getting readings from the air outside the header, where there is LOTS of o2, so it says lean. put an 18 inch collector extension on there and you should be fine
Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
^^^this, your wideband is getting readings from the air outside the header, where there is LOTS of o2, so it says lean. put an 18 inch collector extension on there and you should be fine
Yes try this.
!!

Quick Reply: Wideband not working or is this normal?