Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

procharger hitting alternator pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger hitting alternator pulley

ok i have run into a issue. i am installing a d1sc kit and got the charger mounted up and the shaft of the prochargers is touching the alternator pulley. i do have a 200 amp alternator that i put in last year. the way i see it is i either have to grind the front of the alternator pulley to make some clearance or try to find a smaller pulley. all i can find is over drive pulleys that i dont think will help. how much clearance do i need between the alt and charger?.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into this issue when doing a pulley swap. Turns out they had sent me the wrong pulley. Can you post a pic of the pulley? The one that fits on my car has a very short shank, the other one was a good bit longer.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

its hard to get a good pic but its rubbing right where the green circle is. the shaft of the procharger is up against the pulley
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

How many and what size shims do you have behind the blower pulley?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

ok the shims are .100 and thiers 2 in. its not the pulley itself rubbing its the washer infront of the pulley. the part thats in green in this pic.

and heres a pic of the 2 shims. and space behind the pulley
Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

i shot up to the parts store and the parts guy measured another alternator pulley came up with 2 3/8 i just measured my pulley and came up with 2 1/8. so my pulley is slightly smaller so now im have not idea what the issue is.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Some of the blower pullies have different back spacing. Do you have any other pulleys you can try? How does the belt alignment look? Also, how much bigger is the alt. itself?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

That's the only pulley I have it came on the unit when I bought it. I'm ordering another pulley tonight. I don't have the original alternater to compare but if it was the alternator being physically bigger wouldn't that have caused alignment issues with the serp belt.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If u look on ur headunit pulley it has 2 Diffenert size backspacings. 1 side will stick out father then the other.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02LS1ram
If u look on ur headunit pulley it has 2 Diffenert size backspacings. 1 side will stick out father then the other.
That's only on 6-rib pulleys. 8-rib pulleys are symetrical.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

The problem is the bigger/different alternator, I ran into the same problem trying to swap to one and had to swap back to a standard size alternator. I tried multiple different pullies on the blower and alternator and still couldn't get the needed clearance.

If I recall correctly the higher amp alternators are made from the "B4C/Police" alternator housing and it's a little larger than the stock one. Not a problem for N/A cars at all but the Procharger folks will have clearance issues.

Hope this helps - if I can find my thread in here somewhere I'll edit this post with a link...

EDIT : My post -
https://ls1tech.com/forums/5865017-post31.html

Thread :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...harged-up.html

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bad30th
The problem is the bigger/different alternator, I ran into the same problem trying to swap to one and had to swap back to a standard size alternator. I tried multiple different pullies on the blower and alternator and still couldn't get the needed clearance.

If I recall correctly the higher amp alternators are made from the "B4C/Police" alternator housing and it's a little larger than the stock one. Not a problem for N/A cars at all but the Procharger folks will have clearance issues.

Hope this helps - if I can find my thread in here somewhere I'll edit this post with a link...

EDIT : My post -
https://ls1tech.com/forums/5865017-post31.html

Thread :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...harged-up.html

Rob (Bad30th)
thats what i was figureing. so switching to a 180 amp solved your problem?.
how much clearance do i need between the alternator and charger?. how much will the pulley move from bracket flex?. i could probabaly chamfer the edge of the alternator pulley to gain the clearance just worried about bracket flex.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by luna123black
thats what i was figureing. so switching to a 180 amp solved your problem?.
how much clearance do i need between the alternator and charger?. how much will the pulley move from bracket flex?. i could probabaly chamfer the edge of the alternator pulley to gain the clearance just worried about bracket flex.
Actually switching to the standard alt housing size (not the B4C housing that a lot of the high-amp alternators use) solved the problem. I got the highest amp alternator I could get in the standard housing, and swapped the pullies I had to get the most clearance (I still only got about 1/8" clearance between the alt/blower pullies but it clears fine now).

If I can I'll snap a pic.

Cheers -
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KS91Z28
That's only on 6-rib pulleys. 8-rib pulleys are symetrical.
oh ok i didnt know that sorry for the incorrect post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

My kit had two different size hex standoffs in it for the bottom stud. I had to use the longer one to keep mine from hitting.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

i am useing the longer stand offs on both the mounting locations. i am useing the shorter spacer where the bracket mounts to the idler. if i use the longer one it seems to tilt the top of the bracket out at a angle.

i did alittle grinding today on the alt pulley. just took of a tiny bit and they are no longer rubbing but i dont think i could fit a piece of paper in between the pulleys. the washer on the front of the charger is whats rubbing. thats a pretty thick washeer could i change that for a thinner whasher with out any issues. also could i use 1 washer on each of the stand offs to space the bracket out a tiny bit. my thought is if i can get a fraction of a inch bu grinding the pulley then another fraction by spacing out the bracket and use a thinner washer it all might ad up to haveing enough room. hopefulley with out throwing off the belt alignment.

im gonna shoot up to the parts store and pick up a stock replacement alternator and see how that fits. but due to the stereo i run i kind of need the bigger alt.

Quick Reply: procharger hitting alternator pulley