Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cam good for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam good for turbo?

When I bought the cam for my car it was suggested to me because I was running nitrous. I was also told it would be good for a supercharged application. I was just wondering if anyone runs my cam in their turbo setup or something similar. And if so what kind of results you had. The cam is a Comp 224/230 .581/.592 114LSA. It is on XER lobes if I remember correctly. It is in the car already so it would be nice to leave it in there if it seems to be decent for a turbo setup. I know that there are plenty of FI cams out there but yet again my cam is already installed so if I can leave it in there I would prefer to. Any suggestions on a turbo setup using this cam in a stock displacement LS1 would be awesome as well.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transaman98
When I bought the cam for my car it was suggested to me because I was running nitrous. I was also told it would be good for a supercharged application. I was just wondering if anyone runs my cam in their turbo setup or something similar. And if so what kind of results you had. The cam is a Comp 224/230 .581/.592 114LSA. It is on XER lobes if I remember correctly. It is in the car already so it would be nice to leave it in there if it seems to be decent for a turbo setup. I know that there are plenty of FI cams out there but yet again my cam is already installed so if I can leave it in there I would prefer to. Any suggestions on a turbo setup using this cam in a stock displacement LS1 would be awesome as well.
I'm running into the same situation, as I have a VRx4 from Vengence but its on a 112 LSA (228/230 and high 0.5xx lift), if it ultimately goes this way, I may have to deal with the cam until I can swap it out. 02+ Z06 cam is something that I heard has done well in stock/mild applications.

What size turbo/model are you considering? As I am researching this extensivly.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well that I still have to decide. I did some reading on the '98 cars and how they don't like lots of boost. HP Tuners has a 2bar setup that I can use which is good for about 14psi. My end goal is around 850rwhp through a 4L80E/9". So I don't know if this is going to be even possible with a stock displacement motor trying to stay within the constraints of the factory computer. I am just trying to inventory what is usable from my current setup to attain these goals and then go from there.
I have seen plenty of 347ci cars go plenty beyond my goals but I don't think any of them were running within the 14psi I am looking to stay within. The more I read, the more I think I am going to use E85. The car doesn't get driven much anyway and there are stations around for me.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cam will be fine. Just because it says 2 bar doesn't mean you can't go past that. A good tuner will sort it. You also just to a different year factory ecu I think? My turbo cam, spec'd for me by Mark at Bullet Racing Cams, is 250/255 .625/.600 on a 116.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you can't swap a 98 with a 99-02 ecu because the harnesses are pinned differently. I also think it has to do with the gauge cluster. I could be wrong though. So how would a tuner work around the 14 psi issue? I need a reputable tuner in the Kansas city area to do the job when the build gets finished. Anybody know anyone that they would recommend? I'm not the most pleased with the shop that I had do my tune I have now so I think I'm going to look elsewhere. What about frost? I don't know about mail order tuning but he seems to have very loyal customers and a solid reputation for doing good work and giving quality customer service.

Quick Reply: cam good for turbo?