Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reason to solid roller ? For a higher revving motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reason to solid roller ? For a higher revving motor

Trying to build a smaller ci engine. But
Rev it Out higher for a longer amount of time. A solid roller cam should be easier on the valves and springs cause the lifter are lighter right? Will they also lessen how much oil gets pumped to the valve covers on long high Rpm pulls?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant speak on the oiling issue, but a solid roller offers higher stability at higher rpms. The hydraulic lifters work off the basis that they pump up with oil so that they take the play out of the valvetrain. You will have to check the preload on your rockers frequently with solid roller lifters.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

frequently i knew this but a guess how many races ? or street miles you think ?

i went with hyd and after some issues and thoughts thinking i should have went solid.

how much more rpm can you get out of a solid ?
what rockers will i have to run now? i have TFS 245 heads ?

how high would you spin a solid roller with a 3.8 stroke crank, with turbos ?

Last edited by BigRich954RR; 03-02-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Trying to build a smaller ci engine. But
Rev it Out higher for a longer amount of time. A solid roller cam should be easier on the valves and springs cause the lifter are lighter right? Will they also lessen how much oil gets pumped to the valve covers on long high Rpm pulls?

solid rollers allow you to use much higher spring rates for better valve control with higher lift and more agressive lobe profiles. Most soild rollers do restrict the oil in the lifter so not as much oil travels to the top of the engine. you can only run high rpm if your turbo or sc has enough airflow to allow it to run higher rpms.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjmatt
You will have to check the preload on your rockers frequently with solid roller lifters.
this is very much a false statement. if the valvetrain is setup properly lash adjustment should only have to be done one a season on racecars, and maybe twice a year on street cars. if the lash changes-something is wearing,enough wear to change lash very much and you have an issue. you need to remember most imports have solid valvetrains and very,very seldom need adjustment
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shawn. im really thinking ill just have to have you build my motor cause there a bunch of things i want to change. plus im getting a bunch of intake reversion which is really making my intake ports get dirty.

im not to worried about more aggressive lobe profile. i only want a little more power but, a better motor over all
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
this is very much a false statement. if the valvetrain is setup properly lash adjustment should only have to be done one a season on racecars, and maybe twice a year on street cars. if the lash changes-something is wearing,enough wear to change lash very much and you have an issue. you need to remember most imports have solid valvetrains and very,very seldom need adjustment
Twice a year is often to me! lol

Quick Reply: Reason to solid roller ? For a higher revving motor