Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Converting to CNG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOHRTBT----

Thanks for posting up man, I two wish to educate the public as much as i can with CNG, Infact, anytime we buy a vehicle thats already converted, it usually comes from OK, their is a good chance that we buy or buy from the same people.

I guess i shouldve been more specific with the Maintence of the systems, for the most part, Yes, they are easily maintained, I will give you that, but when their is an issue, it can be very costly.

But you have more then covered that by the cost of the fuel 10 fold and i will agree with you on that, I just wouldnt want someone going into thinking that is Perfect, i prefer to give people a look at worst case scenario. But then again, im not selling a product either.

I wish the public would become interested/educated in CNG, because it is a viable fuel for the USA. Its not perfect, nothing is perfect, But i think it def makes a tremendous case over Gasoline, esp. at this point in our countries economy and struggles.

If i had the jack, all my vehicles would be CNG, we have a decent amount of filling stations locally, one of them where i work, so it makes sense.

Dixie Chopper here in indiana made a fleet of CNG mowers, its very cool they fill at our shop all the time.

AT&T converted many vehicles and are continuing on their path to become CNG based, and fill at our station every day and night. Its been incredible to see the amount of public use as well, its grown 10 fold in the 4 years since we put the station in as well.

Sorry for the rant, we are on the same side here, i remember seeing that picture of the bike before, thought it was pretty cool then.

Kyle-
Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kyle,

We are on the same page for sure. Hopefully even these posts here and there will help people become interested. Its still in baby stages really and we are making great headway.

Take Care!
Dave
Old 03-19-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Dave,

Thanks man, i hope we can educate people as well. Shoot me a PM with your info, and your companies info, it would be all to interesting to talk to you more.

Kyle
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. This thread has me thinking .
Kory
Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How often do the tanks have to be replaced?
What is the cost per tank?
How many tanks per vehicle or how many GGE per tank (typically, either for car or trucks)?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Tanks we use are 25 year tanks.
The Carbon Fiber Tanks are about $5k for the 21 GGE size
We run 1 tank in the Silverado's and 2 4.6 GGE tanks in the Avalanches and Tahoes for 9.2 GGE equivalent. Tank cost is similar.

They are very expensive tanks due to the research and materials and safety.

THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE CNG TANK RELATED DEATH IN THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD!!!! How many Gasoline related deaths are there??? too many to count!

CNG is lighter than air..so if the tank or valve gets punctured, the gas goes to the atmosphere rather than pooling on the ground or spewing on you and your passengers. The tests for these tanks are pretty insane! There is vids on Youtube.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's not too bad as far as the life of the tanks goes. Even if you replaced them at 10 yrs the cost benefit over gasoline is still there.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT

There is a project in the works right now that I cant talk about until next month that involves a 5th gen....When I can, I will post pics and info on it. I think you will be impressed.

Take care.
Dave
so guys....remember this quote??
Teaser...more in a new post:
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey, ive got some of those stickers

Well damnit, i want details!

we just got 2 pallets of carbon tanks in! they are stupid light!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few guys i have heard of that are injecting the gas as a liquid. Although i think there areonly kit avalaibel upto about 300bhp. Also i have heard of some of the EVO guys usingthe gas at low RPMs/boost and then instantly switiching to normal fuel (guess that gcould be race gas) once they hit boost. just an idea....

Chris.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much weight roughly would be added to a car if you wanted to install a complete system to use for daily driving (not intense 500 miles/day thing, but just normal around town and some highway driving + using a lightweight CF tank)? I assume you would lose your trunk or back seat area when installing the tank? Does the tank have to mounted in a closed area away from the driver/passengers or can it be mounted say in the back seat area? What is the smallest sized container they make to hold CNG in the lightweight CF?
Thanks for sharing this info guys, the more that outs there, the better the public can learn and get informed.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say about 200-300 lbs depending on how many tanks you run.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So how many gallons of cng does a typical 20 gallon gas tank hold?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemeSS
So how many gallons of cng does a typical 20 gallon gas tank hold?
If you scroll back up through this thread, you see a picture of a tank that i posted, that tank is only about 8-9GGE, Gasoline Gallon Equiv.

EDIT: its on the first page, Its as wide as the bed in my 2500 chevy and you can see from the height of the box, that we had to shorten the depth by about 4-5" to make it fit.

Quick Reply: Converting to CNG?