Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Turbo vs Supercharger
ATI P1SC Kit
38.46%
Turbo Tech T-76 Kit
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Turbo or supercharge... which road to follow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo or supercharge... which road to follow?

I really HATE to beat a dead horse here guys, but I had to make the post just to get a more "personalized" opinion. I have searched and read EVERY single post on turbos and blowers, on this and other LS1 sites, but there is so little on the turbo side that it's hard to make a decision.

Basically it comes down to chosing between an ATI P1SC supercharger kit or a Turbo Tech T-76 kit.

Both kits are somewhat near the same price, so that's not a huge issue - both kits would require 42# injectors and a fuel pump, so that's not an issue either. Right now the only mods on my car are a 3200 torque converter, 3.42 gears (car is an A4), catback and some basic suspension mods. So, either FI route will be going on a stock engine basically.

What I am looking for - a daily driver I can have fun with and not worry about breaking often. Looking for something reliable, and possibly reach around 450rwhp. I am not looking for anything over 500rwhp, since I don't have the cash flow to keep the car running! With the way the car sits now with just gears and tc, I managed to hit a 13.0@106 with a 2.01 60'. Was hoping to break into the 12's with those mods, but the weather was humid that day. If I could knock off a full second with either kit, that would be perfect for me. I only see the track maybe 4-5 times a year though, so it's not a huge issue.

One big concern will be traction on the street (or even track when I go). I know the turbo kit will make it's power at a much lower RPM then the blower, which could be bad, especially with a 3200 stall torque converter. I don't use slicks or Nitto's on the car, only BFG KDW's.

So, I am not sure which route would be the best for me, so any opinions and help would GREATLY be appreciated. Once again, sorry to beat a dead horse with turbo vs supercharger talk. I love the potential of both, but since I am not a mechanic and I know a lot of you are, I could use the help in deciding!

For those of you that think the ATI SC is the way to go... would you go over 4psi on a stock engine? If so, how high would you recommend? For those of you that think the turbo is the way to go, would you say stick with the 60-1 turbo (basic) kit, or upgrade to the T-76?

Sorry for the long post and thanks again for any help!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:59 PM
Teching In

No one?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

umm 450hp..

i say take the supercharger, or the QMP t-60 (i think). the t-76 is overkill for that.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Excal
umm 450hp..

i say take the supercharger, or the QMP t-60 (i think). the t-76 is overkill for that.

A t-76 would be very happy in the 450 rwhp range, it would be in its efficiency range at a pretty low pressure. A T-60 would be maxed out and producing lots of heat.

Gary