Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Custom $1000 rearmount

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom $1000 rearmount

Hey guys. Begin the criticizing. Im starting to order parts for a custom rearmount that ive been designing/ripping off others for my camaro for the last several weeks. This is kind of a little bet (if you will not to mention who wouldnt want to do this) between me and several friends to see if i can get decent power out of cheap products and yes including ebay. Ive looked and researched a lot of stuff on people doing their own set ups. (My first LS turbo install,rearmount @ that). Im ordering parts this week so i figured id jump on here and get some opinions beforehand. And also had a couple questions too which im sure have been answered on some thread 10 years ago or what ever so dont tell me to look it up.

-3" inlet 2" out 60 trim 82 ar turbo. Masterpower/Godspeed.
-31x11 intercooler kit . Most likely an ebay kit
-I have some 40lb injectors sittin around
-2.5" piping from compressor to intake.
-Advance brakelines ran to turbo /w oil pump
-All oil line fittings and what not from local hardware/auto store
-Ebay bov
-Ebay wastegate
-Ebay hoses
-Walbro fuel pump

Theres more im missing but its late and im tired. I also am going to do this with little to no custom fab/bending. I plan on making a guide/review of the entire installation as well as prices.
Now my questions are
-Seeing as to how i want/need an external wastegate. is it possible to do a block off plate on an internal wg turbo.
-Ive got a decent idea of what i plan on doing with oil lines, but if anyone who has an easy set up that is effective and not retarded expensive, id really appreciate any pis or info you can give.
-My last question is seeing as to how im trying to do as little welding as posisble, does anyone no of a t4 flange that comes with the exhaust pipe welded to it already, and just needs to be bolted to the turbo and the y pipe just over the axle

Stay tuned if you guys want to hear and see more on the project. And thanks for any information or advice you guys have. -Chris
Old 04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96monsta
Hey guys. Begin the criticizing. Im starting to order parts for a custom rearmount that ive been designing/ripping off others for my camaro for the last several weeks. This is kind of a little bet (if you will not to mention who wouldnt want to do this) between me and several friends to see if i can get decent power out of cheap products and yes including ebay. Ive looked and researched a lot of stuff on people doing their own set ups. (My first LS turbo install,rearmount @ that). Im ordering parts this week so i figured id jump on here and get some opinions beforehand. And also had a couple questions too which im sure have been answered on some thread 10 years ago or what ever so dont tell me to look it up.

-3" inlet 2" out 60 trim 82 ar turbo. Masterpower/Godspeed.
-31x11 intercooler kit . Most likely an ebay kit
-I have some 40lb injectors sittin around
-2.5" piping from compressor to intake.
-Advance brakelines ran to turbo /w oil pump
-All oil line fittings and what not from local hardware/auto store
-Ebay bov
-Ebay wastegate
-Ebay hoses
-Walbro fuel pump

Theres more im missing but its late and im tired. I also am going to do this with little to no custom fab/bending. I plan on making a guide/review of the entire installation as well as prices.
Now my questions are
-Seeing as to how i want/need an external wastegate. is it possible to do a block off plate on an internal wg turbo.
-Ive got a decent idea of what i plan on doing with oil lines, but if anyone who has an easy set up that is effective and not retarded expensive, id really appreciate any pis or info you can give.
-My last question is seeing as to how im trying to do as little welding as posisble, does anyone no of a t4 flange that comes with the exhaust pipe welded to it already, and just needs to be bolted to the turbo and the y pipe just over the axle

Stay tuned if you guys want to hear and see more on the project. And thanks for any information or advice you guys have. -Chris
Get your flame suit ready .... Even with the cheapest Chinese junk on Fleabay around you will find yourself spending more money in the long run. If you can get a quality Turbo and/or WG to be on the safeside...

Also, I don't think that you want to piece together the kit without some sort of welding. The exhaust has ALOT of pressure in it, and it can leak badly. You have to get a tune and an oil scavenger pump; so HP Tuners, Mocal, and Turbowerx products are your friend. You also have a ton of exhaust wrap, turbo blanket and other misc stuff that can really add up.

Before you get going fast and furious with you source parts and build, please listen and look at what "Master" Zombie has created and done with twinscroll turbocharges and quick spool valves.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:54 PM
10 Second Club

yeah good luck with that 1000 dollar mark. You will have to have a ton a fab slash special bends to make this work.

Your best bet would be to buy a used sts kit if you are really on that kinda budget.
(and I would never recommend that to anyone)

forced induction and cheap do not in anyway go together
their are ways that are cheaper than others but none come close to 1000 dollars for a reliable well performing kit, try five times that atleast

I am no expert so dont take my words too seriously and good luck. Let us know how it goes. I hope it works out I may have to copy it with a few upgrades for a budget build I am thinking of.

Last edited by speedcrazy2; 04-18-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The life of ur motor depends on ur wastegate, its one thing u cannot cheap out on or else plan on buying a few spare motors
Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 157 Likes on 122 Posts

One thing for sure is welding and fab wok are gonna play a major roll in cost. Im in the process of putting together a rear mount setup too, but $1000 is a SERIOUS limit on funds. If you have time, slowly put together your parts. Yo might find good deals on qulity parts if your not in a hurry.
im going the ebay route as well, but theres a few things im gonna spend quality money on, like an Oil pump and waste gate. I picked up a cheap T70 turbo. Pipings easy, just try and keep the connectors to a minimum.
If you havnt already, take a look into junkyeardturbos and Zombies turbo build. THeres also another one thats had really good luck with rear mounts.
If your willing to spend a little more money but save money in the long run, comp turbos makes oil less turbos that would get ride of oil pumps, lines, alarms, leaky connections, smoke out the tail pipes, oil on MAFs, and tuning nightmares. Alittle pricy but id check that out if you got abot $1400-1800 for a good turbo. i got a cheap turbo on ebay, but i plan on actually getting one of those. IU had already used up my funds for my support mods, so im cashed out, but next year is only 7 months away
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's what I'm using from now on. Oil less turbos for remote mount builds. If I think of it this way, the turbo initial price basically includes the price of the return pump and associated gadgets. Without lifting a finger to install lines, fittings, or drill/tap the pan and also labor involved
Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it. i'll bet you can if you really dig and use some cheap stuff(probably not adviseable but possible) i am sick of guys spending more than the value of their cars on a kit. i built my whole car ,including the car, for under 6k.

Quick Reply: Custom $1000 rearmount