Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 in an 86 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in an 86 IROC

i just got a stock 5.3 for my 86 iroc and have been reading around and found that FI is the only way to go.

my questions are: what forged pistons should i go with?

should i go turbo, procharger, or supercharger?

it is also going to have the carbureted conversion from edelbrock with a 750 holley, the heads will be ported and ill have all the supporting mods

nice site btw!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I think your on the right track! I am in the process of building a turbo 5.3 in my 87 IROC now. Turbo, procharger, or nitrous. You really can go wrong, what would you prefer? Have you built any of these packages in the past? Or are you new to forced induction?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:40 PM

100% new to FI lol i want to do whatever takes up the least space, i just mainly need help with what pistons to get atm, everything else will come later, how far are you in your IROC build?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would rethink going with a carburator, it always bugs me when I see people doings swaps with an awesome platform like an LS engine and then they throw a carb on it. And when you decide to go with forced induction its going to be alot easier with fuel injection.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill be using a quick fuel Carb on my Turbo charged 402ci lq9. Also in an 89 iroc there's nothing wrong with carburetors and fi, the main reason is cost for me. Especially when I already had the Carb. Just bought an msd 6010 and found a used l92 Carb intake. Much cheaper than a 1500-2000 dollars on a fuel injection setup. Performance wise the carbs have proven to be as good or better at making HP ( due to cooling properties of atomized fuel before the intake valve) of course you sacrifice fuel economy and cold start ease. Tuning a carb is fairly easy, jet change here, air bleed change there, not as easy as clicking a mouse but Carbs have they're place.
As far as pistons go I went with wiseco, good quality and good price, just a tad over 500 bucks I believe. Although many guys have had stock pistons hold up to 700 HP. Its been done time and time again but I opted for the for the forged pieces just for piece of mind.
A Turbo setup will probably be cheaper IF you're doing the Fab work. Unfortunately there area no "kits" available for our cars. A 76mm Turbo and a 5.3 has proven to be a potent combo from 5-700hp capability. 70mm work great also. Twin Turbo is also an option and tend to be a little more costly and also a little more difficult as there's not much room on the drivers side for a down pipe, has been done tho.
Procharger would be much easier as its a bolt on procedure except for some cold side fabrication maybe.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you first should decide if you want to go Turbo, procharger, or nitrous first. Then decide how much power you want to make and which fuel you want to use. That will help determine how much compression you should run etc etc. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: 5.3 in an 86 IROC