Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A little help with my decision making: which SC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help with my decision making: which SC?

Hey guys,

I've decided i need to make the jump to forced induction. After weighing my options, I'm still undecided but leaning towards a twin screw or a roots. I've done some reading but haven't reached any conclusions. After reading this essay i've written, can you offer your thoughts on what SC i should go with?

The car:
68 El Camino with:
LQ4: Dart heads, ARP head/rod bolts, Texas Speed 228r cam, hooker long tubes, and edelbrock pro flo intake manifold.
4L80E with a Monster 3K stall converter behind it and a 9" with 3.50 gears behind that.

The setup made 393 rwhp with an awesome looking (yet very heat soaked) intake manifold. Now I'm looking for more. I'd like a supercharger that I can bolt to my engine as is and make a table top of 550ftlbs o' torque at the wheels. But, I'd like to be able to use the same SC in a year or 2 when i can afford a forged 400+ in^3 motor and make 650+.

My tuner is telling me to go with a TVS Maggie (or, i assume, any company who runs that design)... specifically a 1.9L. If i get a Maggie TVS, I'd have a hard time not getting the 2.3L. I'm still learning and reading, but (at least on my size motor and with these sizes of SCs), I would assume that the 2.3L is capable of producing more power than the 1.9L ... right? Doesn't seem like rocket science.. I've read great things on here about the 1.9L and the 2.3L. I havent seen anything negative about them at all.

My tuner supports the Maggie TVS kits but hates the Whipple and KB kits because he says they are very difficult to tune compared to the bolt on, tune n' go ease of a Maggie kit, and their customer service is terrible compared to Maggie. He also mentioned that they can develop some nasty heat issues... I've read a few posts about that on here. That being said, i was leaning in the KB / Whipple direction in the first place, so now I'm all kinds of lost.

I guess at this point, I'm looking for reviews of your superchargers... things like:
ease of installation / tuning,
supporting engine mods (valley cover clearance, valve cover clearance, etc.),
reliability / drivability,
and I guess most of all-- if you could do it again, what would you do differently?

Reading thru all the various threads with ppl's varying levels of detail and know how, i've had a hard time reaching ANY solid conclusions... especially with the suprising opinion my tuner just gave me. Any input, especially from those with experience with the various SCs available, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys-- I've already learned a lot and am looking to learn more.

Sincerely,
<- This Guy
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you not gonna get a lot of good input on the type of super chargers you are looking at here. Being that They can't really be fit on an F body with out major Mods. That and Probably 90% of the supercharged crowd in here runs prochargers.

That being said I would go big as I have heard that the smaller Maggie that you can get to fit on an f body will run out of steam on a bigger motor. I hope you get some good input though
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the 112 blower. He's talking about the tvs series. They are world's better than a mp112. Get the 2300. For more research go to performancetrucks.net
Old 05-12-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are going to have high intake air temps with any maggie, whipple, or KB so I wouldn't let that effect your decision. As for the tuner... It is his job to tune your car...that's what you are paying him for. I wouldn't go with something you don't want because your tuner doesn't feel like doing much work. That would be like a fireman asking you to make sure to make sure your house dosen't catch on fire too much because he doesn't feel like doing to much work ha ha. Sounds like you need a new tuner. As for the supercharger... I would go with a whipple or KB because they are twin screws which are more efficient. That's why you always see Cobra guys ditching their stock roots SC for a KB or whipple. However if you decide to go with a maggie I would get the tvs2300. I built a 402 with a mp112 for a guy (because he already had the maggie) and it didn't have much steam up top. In my opinion I would go with the whipple or KB.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Procharger!

Quick Reply: A little help with my decision making: which SC?