Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbos and really low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos and really low oil pressure

Hey guys,
have twin journal bearing turbos and forced performance said they need the best possible oil supply and return due to the bearings they put in them.

I am running -6 oil feed lines with no restrictions and -10 drain lines.

I drove it the other day in almost 100* weather and while cruising, it was hovering around 24-25 psi, BUT when I stopped at red lights, it would drop to about 13 psi. This is with oil temps in the 230's.

I drove the car the other night when temps were around 80* outside and it did a little better.

The oil pressure sensor in the APS kits are relocated to the oil distribution block that feeds the turbos.

Is this something I should be concerned with?
Would running -4 feed lines help?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

-4 is plenty big enough for a journal type turbo,
also sounds like an oil cooler would be a good investment.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man those temps are pretty high. -6 is huge for an unrestricted oil feed. You 100% on that? You arent having return issues or blowing any smoke?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Johnv
I was told that these turbos couldn't have too much oil.

Originally Posted by ablakez28
Yeah man those temps are pretty high. -6 is huge for an unrestricted oil feed. You 100% on that? You arent having return issues or blowing any smoke?
It doesn't seem like many people think 230* is THAT high on a 100* day in the humid Louisiana heat. Yeah, Im 100%. It's not blowing smoke or oil, only a little fuel because its not tuned yet.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
8 Second Club

If 230* was the highest it went during a full on flogging then no it isn't too bad at all. If that is where it was on just driving I would get a cooler. Also you might want to try a thicker viscosity oil with it being so hot where you are. What oil are you running now?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

If 230* was the highest it went during a full on flogging then no it isn't too bad at all. If that is where it was on just driving I would get a cooler. Also you might want to try a thicker viscosity oil with it being so hot where you are. What oil are you running now?
In the 230's is the highest it went while in stop and go traffic. It went into the 220's while driving. I still will probably invest in a cooler soon. It would be pretty easy to install inline between the scavenge pump outlet and the oil pan return.

I am running Rotella 5-40 synthetic.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM
8 Second Club

Maybe some people more familiar with high temp areas will chime in on the oil situation. I run 0-40 here in Buffalo NY where it snows year round haha. I have an oil cooler from an R1 RX7 in my basement that I was going to sell on rx7club if you wanted.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe some people more familiar with high temp areas will chime in on the oil situation. I run 0-40 here in Buffalo NY where it snows year round haha. I have an oil cooler from an R1 RX7 in my basement that I was going to sell on rx7club if you wanted.
Yeah, Ill be interested to see what others say, too.

I've checked out one from Jegs that has -10 inlet and outlet which would be perfect because thats what size my oil return hose in. Seems it would be most cost effective.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

he's not kidding it really does snow in buffalo all year. seems like -10 would not be a good idea. remember your feed for your turbo is pre rest of your engine. try thicker oil and as temporary a restrictor that you can then drill out. just to test.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
he's not kidding it really does snow in buffalo all year. seems like -10 would not be a good idea. remember your feed for your turbo is pre rest of your engine. try thicker oil and as temporary a restrictor that you can then drill out. just to test.
My feed for my turbos comes from the stock oil pressure sensor location (top, rear of block). It doesn't feed from the oil filter location like a lot of systems.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey 02black, my oil temp goes way up there too.... Although i'm running an iron block, my oil temps mid summer will go a high of 240 - 250 degrees. When at that temp, my oil pressure idles around 14 pounds of oil pressure. My turbo's have a seperate oiling system and don't see those temps but wanted to give you some engine oil reference with our hot/humid days in louisiana. I also need to get an oil cooler.... Good luck man p.s... great car!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

my bad.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TracyRR
hey 02black, my oil temp goes way up there too.... Although i'm running an iron block, my oil temps mid summer will go a high of 240 - 250 degrees. When at that temp, my oil pressure idles around 14 pounds of oil pressure. My turbo's have a seperate oiling system and don't see those temps but wanted to give you some engine oil reference with our hot/humid days in louisiana. I also need to get an oil cooler.... Good luck man p.s... great car!
Hey Tracy, thanks for chiming in. That gives me a good idea. I may try a 50wt. oil just for gits and shiggles.

This is Corvette-Chris, BTW. LS1Tech wouldn't let me change my screen name on here. LOL
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
Hey Tracy, thanks for chiming in. That gives me a good idea. I may try a 50wt. oil just for gits and shiggles.

This is Corvette-Chris, BTW. LS1Tech wouldn't let me change my screen name on here. LOL
oh, hey chris... didn't realize. I may also try a thicker oil in my engine.....damn engine runs hot down here so i'm kinda kicking around the idea of two small a/a intercoolers instead of one big one. Just not enough air flow which drives up the water and oil temps. Let me know what you do, tracy
Old 05-12-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TracyRR
oh, hey chris... didn't realize. I may also try a thicker oil in my engine.....damn engine runs hot down here so i'm kinda kicking around the idea of two small a/a intercoolers instead of one big one. Just not enough air flow which drives up the water and oil temps. Let me know what you do, tracy
I am running 2 small ones from my APS kit. I love how it worked out because my Tigershark front fascia allows PLENTY of airflow to each IC.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
I am running 2 small ones from my APS kit. I love how it worked out because my Tigershark front fascia allows PLENTY of airflow to each IC.
any pics of your intercoolers installed? my engine temps are going to get too high with that big I/C blocking the radiator. thanks
Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the best one I have.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to highjack, but would it be ok to put an oil cooler in the return line from the turbo? Or would that impede oil return too much? Where's the best place to put one?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation Nope..

Originally Posted by SippiSpeedhawk
Sorry to highjack, but would it be ok to put an oil cooler in the return line from the turbo? Or would that impede oil return too much? Where's the best place to put one?
the return needs an unimpeded flow to the pan...
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up X2..

Originally Posted by Johnv
^^^what he said

Quick Reply: Turbos and really low oil pressure