Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

forced induction cam???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forced induction cam???

I know this has been covered a lot and did a search and got some of the answers i was after but just want to see if the cam i currently have at home will be good for a turbo on a 346 (5.7ltr ls1).

its a 218/224 114+2 lsa cam with .527 or .530 lift (got to double check cam card on the lift but one of those two) and a rpm range of 1800rpm-6200rpm, will this be ok for a single turbo/twin turbo set up and which would be better and will be doing a forged piston and rod bottom end and heads any way.

was looking at a bigger n/a cam but seen as have some extra funds and already have this cam with 918 valve springs and 7.400" pushrods thinking may as well use what iv got, any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Plus already doing things like upgrading fuel pump, injectors, putting in a 3,000rpm stall if required, diff gears and would a fast 102 intake be good for this or a 90/90(if can find one)?

Should add i'm not after massive power, but a quick lean streeter than can be daily driven if need be, can cruise the freeways and a bit of grunt when required.

Last edited by ausls1; 06-06-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ausls1
Should add i'm not after massive power, but a quick lean streeter than can be daily driven if need be, can cruise the freeways and a bit of grunt when required.
Use a stock cam then. Boost is what makes the power.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Launching!

could use the stock cam, not sure how long it will hold up for, its done just over 200,000km's, not sure what that is in miles.
plus got to pull the motor apart to do rear main seal, pistons and rods (usual bad ls1 noises), plus lifters noisy and sounds like a possible rocker issue (squicking type noise under rocker cover), so may as well put a fresh cam in at same time as all the other parts, plus now have some extra funds to do a FI setup, be it s/c or turbo.

Should have clarified when i said i'm not after huge power that i'm not chasing power like 5-600+hp at the wheels, what it makes it makes, would that cam be ok with a turbo set up or not and if so what size turbo would be best suited to it and head work on 241 heads with 2.02/1.57 valves?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ausls1
could use the stock cam, not sure how long it will hold up for, its done just over 200,000km's, not sure what that is in miles.
plus got to pull the motor apart to do rear main seal, pistons and rods (usual bad ls1 noises), plus lifters noisy and sounds like a possible rocker issue (squicking type noise under rocker cover), so may as well put a fresh cam in at same time as all the other parts, plus now have some extra funds to do a FI setup, be it s/c or turbo.

Should have clarified when i said i'm not after huge power that i'm not chasing power like 5-600+hp at the wheels, what it makes it makes, would that cam be ok with a turbo set up or not and if so what size turbo would be best suited to it and head work on 241 heads with 2.02/1.57 valves?
You are not looking for 5-600whp? If you're rebuilding it , rods, pistons, and going w/ a turbo cam and everything setup to rock and roll.. 5-600whp would be on the bottom of the scale that you have potential for. usually anything under 500whp can be achieved without a turbo. And it seems like a lot of work to turbo a car to only give you like 50hp more than you could make N/A.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Launching!

oh ok, so would easily be achievable then, haha all good, i'm a newbs when it comes to FI, yeh i know a bigger cam n/a and heads should net me round the 400+ rwhp depending on the rest of the setup and cam size, etc, so that cam should be ok then for FI?

Most FI cars iv seen have been mates older 6cyl turbo'd Japanese motor cars.
Seen some ls1 turbo'd cars but the majority of them have been rocking big drag type setups.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That cam would do better than stock but it is VERY small. Smaller than an ls6 cam. I would look for something a little bigger and a bit more turbo oriented.

Quick Reply: forced induction cam???