Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

trying to decide on a turbo...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trying to decide on a turbo...again

well since i apparently can't ask for some freakin real time opinions on something i'm investing thousands of dollars into without getting my threads locked, I hope people respond quickly enough. Thanks smokinhawk i think your name is for the FAQ link that i read months ago. I know the basic functions of a turbo system. I probably wouldn't be trying to build my own kit in my garage otherwise. I am trying to narrow down specific sizes of twin turbos (67-76) or do guys who have actually ran both twins and a big 88-91 mm turbo feel like the lag isn't as bad as the cost and extra routing necessary to go twin. I am wanting twins i just don't want my power dropping off after 6krpm or so. I hope when i check back this thread isn't locked... i'm just looking for some people who have experience in them
Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

why not try calling a turbo vendor such as Forced Inductions...they will steer you in the right direction. We don't want single vs twin threads here...hence why the last one got locked.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, ok I understand. I just wanted to hear what customers liked vs vendors. They will make everything sound good whether they intend to or not because its their job to sale. Usually the consumers will give a more blunt review. You know as well as I that when it comes to these type of builds, things don't usually go directly as they do in theory. But thanks for at least letting me know why you don't want the thread instead of just locking it.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

How many cubes are you going to be running?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm purchasing the tsp 408 rotating assembly before the end of the week hopefully. My lq block is sitting here bored to death.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't care about lag when the torque kicks in, trust me...go with a reasonably sized single 76+mm, T4 turbo if your worried about power falling off after 6k or if your too worried about spooling it then you need to re-think your plan. It's not going to be able to do everything, but it can come really close.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What are your goals? Willing to lose AC? Stock K member? Is the car going to remain a stick? Mostly track or street?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1TA
Oh, ok I understand. I just wanted to hear what customers liked vs vendors. They will make everything sound good whether they intend to or not because its their job to sale. Usually the consumers will give a more blunt review. You know as well as I that when it comes to these type of builds, things don't usually go directly as they do in theory. But thanks for at least letting me know why you don't want the thread instead of just locking it.
It's their job to get you into the proper product for your use/budget. This is how you earn loyal customers vs customers. If they just sold product then you wouldn't get recommendations to call them from people like Fireball. For a 408 I would go with a large frame turbo.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it's also their job to sell a product.. 9/10 times they will say their product is better than the one being compared to if that situation arises... no one can gain any useful information that way.. kind of like how some sponsors on this board reply to every post about their products with links to a product they sell instead of the information the customer is really after
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

im in similar boat 408 and im doing a single, thinking of s475 t6 just due to the cost. what yall think of that? sorry to hijack. to the op go to forced inductions site and they have all pricing there.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djfury05
it's also their job to sell a product.. 9/10 times they will say their product is better than the one being compared to if that situation arises... no one can gain any useful information that way.. kind of like how some sponsors on this board reply to every post about their products with links to a product they sell instead of the information the customer is really after
I was trying hard not to say this but i certainly thought it lol. I have been all through forcedinductions.com. I have talked to both sponsors. I have no issue with their customer service. I just want to know how guys with either set-up like their rides. I do 90% street runs, so i wont some good spooling time and not have to worry about getting beat by nitrous guys with 200 hp less than me. (not trying to bash nitrous guys)

This is the first paragraph of the thread that was closed: I am in the process of building a forged 408 iron block for boost with stock 317's and victor jr. this is going through a m6. I am going to build a 1000rwhp car with no ac, battery relocated, alt relocated, coolant likely relocated, radiator verted, fuse box adjusted. I am doing all of this myself besides the shortblock assembly (wish me luck). This kind of sounds like i'm yielding a twin set-up right?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could not imagine why that would get locked. Can some one explain that. he is trying to get help making a decision on fi.

I'd go big single and spend the left over money on a large ci engine to spool it
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that was only the first paragrapgh. it was a very lengthy post lol
Old 07-20-2011, 04:23 AM
10 Second Club

What is the reason you are set on TT for?

Is it the cool factor?

Is it because you think they will outperform a single setup?

Do you have money for the extra **** TT will need?

Did you plan on doing "no ac, battery relocated, alt relocated, coolant likely relocated, radiator verted, fuse box adjusted" with a single turbo setup as well even if it does not require it?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 242 Likes on 169 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

im kind of in the same boat-i have run Prochargers for a while, and have always had good luck with them, but have been thinking of a turbo setup
pretty much just because i havent done one, lol
i dont mind the fab. work, just going in trying to get the correct turbo sizing
for mainly street, from what i have gathered, twins, or a single on the smaller side, maybe a touch higher comp., and def a cam ground for a turbo
this is just my thoughts, and i may be way off base
everyone will have a diff opinion, and thats where the confusion lies with someone just starting into this-door 1, 2, or 3, lol
Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cleonard
im in similar boat 408 and im doing a single, thinking of s475 t6 just due to the cost. what yall think of that? sorry to hijack. to the op go to forced inductions site and they have all pricing there.
I'd say that turbo is too small for a 408, if you are dead set on the Borg warner, at least do the s480, should be same price if i'm not mistaken. But for a budget turbo for a 408, I would definitely do the GT88 or GT91 from forced inductions, they're a few hundred dollars more than the BW, but would definitely be better for that size motor and make quite a bit more power.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In my other thread I posted my intentions, but I have already removed my block, and everything. I will not be keeping A/C, will be relocating alt, moving coolant and battery, and verting griffin radiator. I wouldn't say I'm set on the twins, my only dilema is the power differences in the lower to mid range. I am 85/15 street/strip so I want my low end power. With the power goals I'm aiming for, I'm worried the single can't get it done without getting a huge turbo (I will if I have to) so I wanted to get twins on a t-4 and .81 ar so they will not die up top. But is that AR too big to spool as quick as 3k rpm?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05

They sell like 4-6 major brands. I know you aren't FI yet but I wouldn't hesitate to give Jose a call about turbo selection.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
They sell like 4-6 major brands. I know you aren't FI yet but I wouldn't hesitate to give Jose a call about turbo selection.
Yep he's probably the guy I'll be getting my turbo from.. As of right now for the performance aspect of things I am looking to get the Borg Warner ST80 and upgrade it and would consider anything he would recommend over that in the same "class" etc.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1TA
In my other thread I posted my intentions, but I have already removed my block, and everything. I will not be keeping A/C, will be relocating alt, moving coolant and battery, and verting griffin radiator. I wouldn't say I'm set on the twins, my only dilema is the power differences in the lower to mid range. I am 85/15 street/strip so I want my low end power. With the power goals I'm aiming for, I'm worried the single can't get it done without getting a huge turbo (I will if I have to) so I wanted to get twins on a t-4 and .81 ar so they will not die up top. But is that AR too big to spool as quick as 3k rpm?

Twins there are a ton of options. Twin tc76, twin t70, twin Precesion 67's(I forget the number.

Quick Reply: trying to decide on a turbo...again