Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Digital Boost Gauge..Who Has One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Digital Boost Gauge..Who Has One?

Well I hooked up my cyberdyne digital boost gauge today....AND IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY BOOST. I followed the directions to the tee, had my Pops double check my wiring(I am colorblind so wiring sucks for me)
Programmed the boost gauge for the high boost setting per the instructions. Turned it off, then started the car. The boost gauge comes on flashes low-high like its suppose to but when I rev it no boost? With my mechanical boost gauge, when I rev it, it shows boost 2-5psi. But nothing with this one. I took the car out on the road, held it in 2nd got on it....nothing Got on the freeway held it in third got on it....nothing I didn't want to beat on the car anymore with the bad tune I have in it so I brought it home and parked it. I disconnected the vac line from the tee I had it in, put the air compressor nossle in it, put some pressure to it and low and behold the gauge showed boost? WTF? I thought it *might* be where I had it tee'd into so I tried other places and even made a special line off the intake manifold(off the evap solenoid outlet, brass fitting on the driver side of the intake)

I thought these things were suppose to have a resoultion of -.1/.1+ I even clamped off the line to the BOV to see it that would help register some boost but nope, nothing. Only the big ol air compressor I have can make it show boost.

Any ideas?
J
Old 03-07-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those things suck ***.

I have 2 of them. they sent me another thinking the first was broken. niether worked.

I think the key is they are designed to work where you can screw them into the manifold to get your reading.

return it. trust me. just return it and stick with mechanical.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

That sucks, I was looking for a digital boost guage w/recall and I was thinking of the nordskog 0-16psi digital guage but supposedly they are the same gauge as the cyberdyne. The cyberdyne is cheaper though (the nordskog is 160.00 w/sender). Can you post a pic of what the cybderdyne looks like so I can see if they are exactly the same?
Old 03-07-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

kp if you are interested I have nordskog 16psi max with memory coming in the mail. I bought two, 23psi cyberdyne and a 16psi nordskog( I wanted to give the cogs room just *in case* they make a lil more than 16psi. I will let you have it for 105shipped once it comes in.

I'll get a pic up of what it looks like in a few.

Heath don't tell me that buddy. I just spent some heavy cash on these two gauges. My cyberdyne has a MAP sensor, I'll post a pic of what it looks like. My BOV might be set up too loose, for it to get a good read on the manifold pressure.

I hope I have better luck with the digital FP gauge, I was going to install this today but the boost gauge took up all the sunlight.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 03-08-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

mine was the Nordy so hopefully yours is different???

as for wanting to have boost recall, since I have a rising rate regualtor I got a fp guage with a memory recall. so I can just subtract my base fp from the max reading on the fp guage to know my max boost 2 birds with one stone.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heath probably not They are probably the same.
The sender is encapsulated plastic with a 1/8nipple for the vac hose, and a wire harness for the gauge sticking out next to it.
I couldn't get a pic of it, It will have to wait till I have some sun. I hid it pretty good.
As for the FP/Boost recall, that's some clever thinkin.
I got a dynotune FP gauge, the lil square one. I shoulda got the 2-1/16 one though. It ain't all that bad, I am just going to buy a cheapy 2-1/16 gauge and gut it and cut the face to fit the digi FP display

kp here are those pics

Hope those help,
Jeremy
btw, my inlet hat is real thick around the inlet opening, I think this is why it doesn't fit on my head unit, time to get the dremel out
Old 03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I dunno, I have a 2 bar GM MAP sensor hooked up to my a/c pressure sensor and I log that with efilive (along with my wideband on the EGR sensor) but I hate dragging a laptop everywhere and they wont let me have one in the pass seat at the track (has to be bolted down to something) so I want a boost guage with recall.

Maybe I'll just spend the 180.00 and get the autometer phantom one with recall that matches my fuel pressure gauge..
Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

J- sounds like your sender is different than mine, so maybe you will have some luck???

kp - tell me more about what you did with the map sensor please. I understand the concept but if you would like to share a step by step, part number, cost, etc... that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The map sensor is a 2 bar GM map sensor out of a 84-86 turbo sunbird or a 4.3 turbo cyclone/typhoon and a couple others, the GM part number is 16009886 but I think its discontinued. The standard ignition part number is AS-4 I think. I have no idea what it cost, it came with a carrol C5 supercharger fuel management unit I had a while back.

I used my ac pressure sensor for the 5v reference and ground and (pin 'a' on the MAP is ground, pin 'b' is the output and pin 'c' is +5v input) changed the ac pressure sensor to read voltage in EFIlive. I am not too good with math so I cant figure out how to make EFIlive read PSI direct but I use this chart for the voltage/PSI conversion.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
The map sensor is a 2 bar GM map sensor out of a 84-86 turbo sunbird or a 4.3 turbo cyclone/typhoon and a couple others, the GM part number is 16009886 but I think its discontinued. The standard ignition part number is AS-4 I think. I have no idea what it cost, it came with a carrol C5 supercharger fuel management unit I had a while back.

I used my ac pressure sensor for the 5v reference and ground and (pin 'a' on the MAP is ground, pin 'b' is the output and pin 'c' is +5v input) changed the ac pressure sensor to read voltage in EFIlive. I am not too good with math so I cant figure out how to make EFIlive read PSI direct but I use this chart for the voltage/PSI conversion.
I have th 0-16 psi boost and 0-100 psi fuel pressure from nordskog. They will not work unless you have them grounded directly to engine block. Anywere else and all you will see is zeros. They conviently forget to mention this on there instructions, their web page says it has to be done. I wired mine up to ground on the firewall for testing worked fine. Then ran all the extra wire into car zippo. Anyway, have not had any problems with them once they were hooked up to the block.

Gary
Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frcefed98
... I thought these things were suppose to have a resoultion of -.1/.1+
Is this true? I remember a thread a few years back where it was stated that professional tuner guages were nowhere near that accurate. I think the typical autometer guages provide just rough estimates.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I just ended up ordering the autometer phantom with recall, that way I can keep my eyes on the tach (and on the road) instead of staring at that stupid boost gueage Plus I can use the linear output and still log with it..
Old 03-08-2004, 08:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

I have a new, barely used 2 bar map sensor if anyone wants it. We used it for three dyno pulls and I am running a 3 bar now. prostockjohn@hotmail.com
Old 03-08-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DaveSchott
Is this true? I remember a thread a few years back where it was stated that professional tuner guages were nowhere near that accurate. I think the typical autometer guages provide just rough estimates.
Got it off their instructions and it also states it on jegs web site.
280-A214E061Y
0-23 psi Gauge w/Memory
Accurate to +/-1%. 2-1/16'' diameter.

So I guess thats what they are accurate up too? Mine doesn't even read 1psi unless I hook it up to the air compressor Today I verified vac line I am tapping into by hooking up the mechanical boost gauge to it. When rev'ed the car show 2-5psi right off the bat.

Cyberdyne didn't return my phone call so I will try to get ahold of them again tomorrow.
J
Old 03-09-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Got it off their instructions and it also states it on jegs web site.
280-A214E061Y
0-23 psi Gauge w/Memory
Accurate to +/-1%. 2-1/16'' diameter.

So I guess thats what they are accurate up too? Mine doesn't even read 1psi unless I hook it up to the air compressor Today I verified vac line I am tapping into by hooking up the mechanical boost gauge to it. When rev'ed the car show 2-5psi right off the bat.

Cyberdyne didn't return my phone call so I will try to get ahold of them again tomorrow.
J
The ground on the cyberdyne also have to be wired up to the ground on the block.

Gary
Old 03-09-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

It might, or it does? If it does then why does it(cyberdyne) read pressure off the air compressor while still being wired to the car? Man this is confusing me.
I couldn't get ahold of them today. Now I am torn between installing the new Norskog 16psi gauge that I just got in today or seeing if I can get this one to work
J
Old 03-10-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not sure if this will help you at all but, alot of the Nitrous guys are using the Dynotune digital gauges and they like them alot. they seem to be very accurate. there website is www.dynotune.org I think they used to be a sponser on this board at one time.

Rob
Old 03-10-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks 96, I have one of there digital FP gauges waiting to be install. Just have to collect a few more fittings and odds and ends. They have nice stuff.
J
Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a innovative digital controller...brand new in the box....would sell..email me if interested ($350)
Retails over $600

Quick Reply: Digital Boost Gauge..Who Has One?