Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

please help with turbo ls1 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with turbo ls1 build

Gday guys, i have a few questions regarding my new ls1 turbo build I have built an 800 rwhp 6 cylinder 7 years ago, but v8's i dont eally have an ideo on, help will be much appreciated.
My goal is about 800rwhp, i want to use a stock set up first , and in the mean time buils a iron block, if thats what i need. ive already purchased a precision pt 88, and upon doing some research here, ive learned that i can use ls1 truck manifolds. And also have learned that the 317 heads. Now regarding theses heads, what does the 317 stand for, and what are they off?
When looking for a standard short block, which one is best? Ive read about how much a standard short block will take, but how much hp will it take with aftermarket crank, rods pistons. Apparently the alloy blocks arent very strong.
Which oil pump, cam should i use? What size injectors? which oem manifold should i use? Any other suggestions?
I am working on a budget, otherwise i would buy everything aftermarket off the bat.The car will be street drag car.
Thankyou all in advance for your help.
I will be running E85
Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 317s are on 6.0l blocks. I have 80lb injectors which are a bit on the small side for 800rwhp thru an auto and e85. I am sure many others will chime in on the rest.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Be careful with E85 we twin turboed a 468 with a BG 400pump and a E85 blow through carb and it went lean and dropped 2 cylinders still went 8.36 but u need alot more fuel with E85 just my experience
Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gfleck047
Be careful with E85 we twin turboed a 468 with a BG 400pump and a E85 blow through carb and it went lean and dropped 2 cylinders still went 8.36 but u need alot more fuel with E85 just my experience
Yeah ive bught the big aeromotive pump, it supports about 1600hp.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 AM
8 Second Club

Another interesting fact i have just learned. Most of the ls series engines in the us have iron blocks, exept for truck blocks?
Here in australia, all the ls"s are alloy block. Any thoughts???
This is probably why i dont here you guys complaining about breaking factory blocks.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

all LS series blocks are aluminum, except 6.0 truck blocks (L76 is aluminum) and some 5.3 blocks....and the new GMPP LSX block
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
8 Second Club

Please, anyone!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by snip
Gday guys, i have a few questions regarding my new ls1 turbo build I have built an 800 rwhp 6 cylinder 7 years ago, but v8's i dont eally have an ideo on, help will be much appreciated.
My goal is about 800rwhp, i want to use a stock set up first , and in the mean time buils a iron block, if thats what i need. ive already purchased a precision pt 88, and upon doing some research here, ive learned that i can use ls1 truck manifolds. And also have learned that the 317 heads. Now regarding theses heads, what does the 317 stand for, and what are they off?
When looking for a standard short block, which one is best? Ive read about how much a standard short block will take, but how much hp will it take with aftermarket crank, rods pistons. Apparently the alloy blocks arent very strong.
Which oil pump, cam should i use? What size injectors? which oem manifold should i use? Any other suggestions?
I am working on a budget, otherwise i would buy everything aftermarket off the bat.The car will be street drag car.
Thankyou all in advance for your help.
I will be running E85
What type of car are you building?

You need to do some searching on this site. There is a ton of info here for the reading.

The 317 heads are a casting number you can see at the top of the head on the right front side. They are on 6.0 chevy truck engines, same as the manifolds you want.

If you have access to an ls2 alloy block that would be my choice. Cam and oil pump I would buy from one of the vendors on this site/
Old 10-10-2011, 02:47 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by code4
What type of car are you building?

You need to do some searching on this site. There is a ton of info here for the reading.

The 317 heads are a casting number you can see at the top of the head on the right front side. They are on 6.0 chevy truck engines, same as the manifolds you want.

If you have access to an ls2 alloy block that would be my choice. Cam and oil pump I would buy from one of the vendors on this site/
Hmmmm, this sucks, as i said previously, we dont have any of the truck components here in oz.
If i was to get an ls2, do these have desirable heads, or are they 67cc like the ls1's?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 AM
8 Second Club

Ohh, and the car im builing is called a holden vl commodore, if you type up mighty6 in google, you might be able to see it.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:14 AM
Launching!

You can still get truck blocks in Australia, there are a few guys that bring them in. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some local contacts.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Default Re block

Sirnemisis, gday, do you mean you can get yhe truck blocks, as un bare blocks in oz? I know i can get new truck blocks through performance wholesale.
Or do you mean you can get truck long block? I cant pm you yet. Nit enough posts. You can pm me your number, and ill give you a xall when i return from thailand, cheers

Quick Reply: please help with turbo ls1 build