Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hx55 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hx55 questions

So i'm only in chicago for another few days and i need some quick help. I'm looking at a brand new HX55 that someone up here is selling for my 4.8 mustang project. I emailed him and he'll take $350 bucks for it so i might pick it up if someone on here with more knowledge lets me know whats up with this thing.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pts/2619390626.html

I know its a big turbo (physically) but its around a 72MM compressor housing which should work good on my 4.8 LSX motor.

Is it going to be laggy? Its a t6. Some supra guys and alot of RX7 guys run these like crazy. I dont see why it wouldn't spool pretty quick on my 4.8l V8.

What HP would this thing be maxed out at? I plan on boosting the hell out of my 4.8 to hopefully around 650rwhp untill something blows (if it ever does) and upgrade to a 5.3 or a 6.0 iron block sometime in the future. This turbo shouldn't have a problem with 15lbs of boost on a LS motor.. would it?

Anyone know any common problems or anything to look for on the holset units? I've been googling the hell out of this thing and cant find good answers on it but i know a ton of the DSM guys run holset turbos.

any help is awesome! thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Teching In

30 views no input? c'mon!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are no maps that i know of for the holesets online. your guess is as good as everyone elses.... but its $350. if it doesnt work re sell it.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

yeah thats what i was figuring. Theres a few guy running them on ls1's. Its actually just a tad bigger than a t4 flange, so thats better than a t6
Old 10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could be wrong but I was looking at these last year for a project and if you are trying to get 650 to the wheels, I dont think a 55 is going to be up for the job, especially on a smaller motor (4.8). There wasnt much concrete info out there when I was doing my research but it seemed like those that did have one one a motor that was similar and had numbers were hard pressed to hit 600, 550whp was actually more like it. Dont take this to heart because things could have changed, every setup is different and if you find that right AR with the right combo of heads and cam to match what the turbo needs then it might work out, just sucks no maps or anything to help in the process and they come in all shapes and sizes. But hey its cheap and it will at least get that thing moving out either way.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by notoriousdoa
So i'm only in chicago for another few days and i need some quick help. I'm looking at a brand new HX55 that someone up here is selling for my 4.8 mustang project. I emailed him and he'll take $350 bucks for it so i might pick it up if someone on here with more knowledge lets me know whats up with this thing.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pts/2619390626.html

I know its a big turbo (physically) but its around a 72MM compressor housing which should work good on my 4.8 LSX motor.

Is it going to be laggy? Its a t6. Some supra guys and alot of RX7 guys run these like crazy. I dont see why it wouldn't spool pretty quick on my 4.8l V8.

What HP would this thing be maxed out at? I plan on boosting the hell out of my 4.8 to hopefully around 650rwhp untill something blows (if it ever does) and upgrade to a 5.3 or a 6.0 iron block sometime in the future. This turbo shouldn't have a problem with 15lbs of boost on a LS motor.. would it?

Anyone know any common problems or anything to look for on the holset units? I've been googling the hell out of this thing and cant find good answers on it but i know a ton of the DSM guys run holset turbos.

any help is awesome! thanks
I know a guy running an HX55 with the billet titanium wheel on his stock LS2. Spools super quick. Don't think he has a huge top end though (doesn't need one on a stock bottom end I guess).

I don't think thats a real HX55. Never seen one that doesn't have a huge V band clamp holding the compressor and exhaust housings on. Don't buy it if it's some china garbage turbo.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

s475 done
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a hx55 on my car 4.8 w/ 317s and big cam, I have full spool around 3500, on low boost right now but I expect to see about 700 on 18 psi, I don't think ill have a problem making it
Old 10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
I have a hx55 on my car 4.8 w/ 317s and big cam, I have full spool around 3500, on low boost right now but I expect to see about 700 on 18 psi, I don't think ill have a problem making it
What are you currently running for backpressure at how many #'s boost, if you dont mind me asking?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirty_old_chevy
What are you currently running for backpressure at how many #'s boost, if you dont mind me asking?
i dont know my backpressure, ive never tested it, im assuming its farily low due to the large turbine wheel and housing, right now im on 7psi untill i get larger injectors

Quick Reply: Hx55 questions