Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

"black" intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Did you read any of the other posts before writing yours???
What do you have to back statement up with? Any proof?
What percentage of loss are you suggesting as well?

Reason I ask is because no else seems to think its an issue and some have done testing themselves (if you read the others posts, you would have seen this).
Why the F dose anyone need to test this STUPID idea? How can ANYTHING transfer heat better going though AN ADDITIONAL medium? it cant! Simple physics not rocket science. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the paints rate of thermal transfer will be worse than the alloys anyway.

You show me a F1, prototype, or any top flight motorsprot intercooler that is painted black. You wont find ANY. They only reason to do it is aesthetics.

As for low speed heat loss, load of crap as the charge air temps will be lower than the intercooler anyway (as they are in a vacuum).
Old 06-19-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Why the F dose anyone need to test this STUPID idea? How can ANYTHING transfer heat better going though AN ADDITIONAL medium? it cant! Simple physics not rocket science. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the paints rate of thermal transfer will be worse than the alloys anyway.

You show me a F1, prototype, or any top flight motorsprot intercooler that is painted black. You wont find ANY. They only reason to do it is aesthetics.

As for low speed heat loss, load of crap as the charge air temps will be lower than the intercooler anyway (as they are in a vacuum).
So what are your thoughts on the video posted that show a drop in temperature?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Hard to argue with the video. On a street car, especially one spraying meth or running on E, this doesn't really matter much and the decision can be made on aesthetics alone.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute... black??? You mean.. not 37 hours of grinding, smoothing and polishing to a mirror finish??? Not super shiny? I dont... I cant.. I dont get that. I have to go lie down..

The vid was fascinating I thought.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
So what are your thoughts on the video posted that show a drop in temperature?
First major flaw was they changed how they where measuring from test to test. BIG no no right there! Also there was not comment on the ambient temps. if it was colder when the inter cooler was sprayed black it would work better.

Also they didn't stress very much that the black inter cooler was worse (by 3%) when painted black in the simulated use!

Unless you are holding the car in boost on the line you will not heat soak the IC enough.

once again if you want more proof go speak to a radiator / inter cooler manufacturer and see what they say. Cant see Honeywell / Garrett paining in inter coolers cores black myself.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Also they didn't stress very much that the black inter cooler was worse (by 3%) when painted black in the simulated use!
I don't think the guy realized that it was worse. I'm sure that number would grow significantly larger had they fed it with 100lb/min of airflow, rather than just the output from a hair dryer. Bottom line...the gains showed were using the intercooler in a manner in which nobody uses them. I certainly didn't buy my intercooler with the anticipation of using it as a black body radiation device...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lasershop
Wait a minute... black??? You mean.. not 37 hours of grinding, smoothing and polishing to a mirror finish??? Not super shiny? I dont... I cant.. I dont get that. I have to go lie down..

The vid was fascinating I thought.
You would polish it and then anodize it anyway! How about a gold intercooler? Lol
Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a coating called "arctic black" from polydyn. They are located minutes from my home and I think it's was around $150.. Apparently they helped develop this coating in junction with NASA to rapidly pull heat out if whatever it is applied to. I don't know if it works any better than the normal polished finish as I havent ran it yet but I didn't want a shiny ricer intercooler sticking out of my grille. I also didn't want a paint chipped intercooler so this was the route I went.
Attached Thumbnails "black" intercoolers-image-1225854223.jpg   "black" intercoolers-image-612931786.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First major flaw was they changed how they where measuring from test to test.
How was the test changed?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
How was the test changed?
In the first test the had 4 thermo couplers, 2 in the hot side of the IC and 2 in the cold.

In the second test they had 1 thermo coupler in each end and two on the outside of the IC. They said something about a mean but never confirmed what they actually meant.

So the test changed (moving the thermo couplers) and from the sounds of it how they calculated the results did to! Looks like a pretty bogus test to me! You can prove what you want when you change how you measure the results and what the results show!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How thick is an inner cooler? I don't have have education in thermal dynamics but I would assume that if you paint just the front leading surface of the cooler to give it the black apperiance which probably comes to 2%-3% of the full cooling surface wont impact its performance( just as long as you don't gunk up the vents restricting air flow) Which reminds me, need to get off my lazy butt and get the face of my cooler painted!

Last edited by hawk584; 06-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: "black" intercoolers