Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cause for turbo thrust bearing failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cause for turbo thrust bearing failure?

Just like title says I have recently had 3 different turbo's on my setup with no problems, until tonight when I discovered the thrust on my new GT76 is out after very few miles. I've recently ran a PT88, Tc76, and T78 on same truck same setup and they are both fine. The impeller is trying to pull it's self forward towards the air inlet. Only has play in and out, and contacts compressor cover journal seems to be good. Oil is fresh rotella 5/40. Any help appreciated.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stock48
Just like title says I have recently had 3 different turbo's on my setup with no problems, until tonight when I discovered the thrust on my new GT76 is out after very few miles. I've recently ran a PT88, Tc76, and T78 on same truck same setup and they are both fine. The impeller is trying to pull it's self forward towards the air inlet. Only has play in and out, and contacts compressor cover journal seems to be good. Oil is fresh rotella 5/40. Any help appreciated.
Air cleaner too small...
Restricter...throw it away
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by crashly
Air cleaner too small...
Restricter...throw it away
You know what I was just thinking about that, by the way the bearing is worn it looks like the impeller is trying to suck it's self out of the turbo. Air cleaner is a bit on the small side, just weird that none of the other turbo's had a prob. I took the turbo apart and it looks like the surface area of the thrust bearing is on the small side....

Quick Reply: Cause for turbo thrust bearing failure?