Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnuson mp112 feedback??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnuson mp112 feedback??

I am considering putting one on my 02 camaro that presently makes 400hp at the wheels. I rr the car some and would much prefer a n/a setup, but it seems to be a less expensive way to get another 100hp to the wheels then an ls3 setup and more drivable then a more radical cam.

Any with real world experience with this and the accompanying lowering of the subframe and notching the cowl?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have one on a bone stock LS1 in my 3rd gen so I can't comment on the fact about lowering the k-member. I'd look into a mp122 kit or the newer TVS blower if you are already at 400rwhp. You'll run out of blower if you are shooting for more than 500rwhp on the 112. My power goals were only mid 400's so this blower filled the bill perfect for me. It idles like stock since it's the stock cam and still pulls down 30mph on the highway.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love mine. It is strictly a street application and DD. I am satisfied with 5XX rear wheel power. The torque is unbelievable. It comes in early and hits hard. It puts you in your seat violently and keeps you there till 6,500 rpm. There are more efficient blowers on the market. For me this was the right choice. The adjustments needed to fit were simple. Notching the cowl, slight trim inside of the hood. The fabrication came in re: the intake tube, MAF and breather. If you go SD tune you may find it easier. Be aware that:
- this may not be a less expensive method of putting power to the wheels.
- your clutch, rearend and suspension will at some point need to upgrade to handle this also.
- you will lose about 2 lbs of boost through heads & headers, so I reduced the pulley size to 2.9' to keep 6.5lbs of boost.
- IAT issues do exist, I went with a small wet shot of giggle juice to cool the charge (love it) meth is another alternative. There are many pro's and cons for either system. Not completely needed but the reduction of timing when temps heat up makes a noticeable difference in power.
- as mentioned above .. you will run out of blower if you need more power.

There is someone in this forum installing a TVS system, check it out. We couldn’t fit it without making big cuts etc.. with that said I love my set up. The whine of the blower gives me the chills. The power is instantaneous. I plan on posting pics & dyno results ( if anyone is interested) as soon as I make some changes to my exhaust & get back down to my tuner.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

I had one of these on my 2006 ls2 Corvette. It was a great supercharger. Did really nice on the street, well mannered from a daily driving standpoint, but still had some whine to it to let people know it was there. I upgraded to a TVS2300 about 2 months ago but i have nothing but good things to say about the MP112's. Great power, instant torque and just a ton of fun. I think you will run into some hood clearance issues on an 02 camaro though.
I have my old one for sale if your interested Have the entire setup off my ls2 corvette. It put down 517hp at Automotion in Louisville Ky when tuned by Rob Raymer.

Thanks,

Billy
Old 03-23-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont mean to highjack but in a firebird with ws9hood(vfn) other than notching the cowl it should clear? whats the cost to one? Im around the 440 mark in an A4..Id be happy with another 50 rwhp(all the time got 100 shot on tap)..who sells whats the cost
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Dont mean to hijack the thread from the OP...but a new one in a kit costs about $6500 or so i believe. As far as my guess on the hood, i'd say it would probably fit, but thats just my .02 cents worth.
I used an RK sports aftermarket hood for my corvette for clearance. If anyone's interested in the MP112 that I have just PM me I'm gonna let it go cheap!

Thanks,

Billy
Old 03-25-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is at 463hp and 546tq with stock heads and cam, at the rear wheels that is. Mine only makes power till about 5500, mainly due to the heads and cam but I get more boost down low that way too. I'm not sure how you are currnetly making the 400 hp but I imagine your cam probably wouldn't be maggie friendly. So you may want to consider another cam when you figure your cost.

Another 100 horses isn't out of the scope of the maggie but you are getting close to its limits. I would also assume that you're like most of the rest of us and if you want more now I imagine you'll want even more later. I would look into a procharger since they will leave you room to grow.

I'm by no means trying to talk you out of it, I love mine, but depending on what you want out of your car there are other options for sure. The maggie has very little support, no one makes a "complete" or "bolt-on" kit for them etc. \

It is great for a street car as long as you can hook up. The lowering of the k member isn't noticeable, notching the cowl is pretty damned simple and cutting the hood, well I about cryed cutting my factory WS6 hood, but it had to be done. I hear the Camaro's have it a little easier when it comes to hood clearence.

I would recommend the MP122 for sure. "Deevai" I believe is the one doing the tvs in the Camaro. I would also recommend going SD because fitting a MAF in the custom intake tube you're going to have to make is going to be a little challenging. I also recommend meth or nitrous to keep it cool like NitrOmm mentioned.

NitrOmm, what heads and cam are you running?
Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the two month delay, I just saw this today.
My set up is PRC 2.5 heads and Comp Blower Cam 239/243 114lsa. 10.2:1
With that said, I get only 7lbs out of my 2.9 pulley. But I love the power range !

I would mirror all that Kyotey said, including how " I love mine" however, if you will look for more power later .... You are out of blower. It ain't happinin'. For me it's a DD and a nasty one at that. For the track the bigger blowers and more precise set up's are superior. I did go with a small shot of nitrous to cool the charge. I truly just wanted to simulate a cool air temp day. Living in So. Fl. Those days are few and far between. I only hit it when showing off is absolutely necessary LOL. At the end of he day you will be limited to aprox. 500 rwhp and torque to match.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What kind of numbers does yours make? Any sound clips? I'd like to hear that cam setup.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

If you're still wondering:

04 CTS-V, MP112, LTs, X Pipe, supper 44s, pre-LS7 clutch install... Never touched a dyno and I love it!

If you can't view the vids youtube search "2nd gear 2k rpm rollout" and "quick rip in the V" user low900rr...
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by new_z
If you're still wondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZXTANKJUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBvoD9dXfg

04 CTS-V, MP112, LTs, X Pipe, supper 44s, pre-LS7 clutch install... Never touched a dyno and I love it!

If you can't view the vids youtube search "2nd gear 2k rpm rollout" and "quick rip in the V" user low900rr...
What does that car weigh, any idea?

Quick Reply: Magnuson mp112 feedback??