Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo build ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo build ideas

Ok so I have been doing alot of looking around and once I feel I've got my mind set and get a good feeling about this turbo. I originally set a goal of 700-800whp with a single front mount turbo. I would be driving this car on weekends and occasionally on road courses. This is a stock LS1 that I will be modding.

I'm going to go with a griffin radiator and stand it up to make some room. I wanted the road race upgraded k-member from Umi but I've got 50/50 comments on wether it would break under street use so still considering that. (doesn't make sense to me that street use would be more harsh than road racing...?)

I want to go with summit racings road course oil pan since the stock oil pan apparently sucks and during turns can starve itself (I know the oil pan is not a perfect fix but should work out for what I would be doing). LS2 timing chain. Wiseco pistons, stock crank, callies connecting rods.

Some suggestions I need help with is:

Cx racing hotside ? I see GM high performance liked them
I'm looking at the new Borg Warner efr T76 for my turbo
What size injectors? 60lb with possible e85 big enough?
Will my stock 853 heads flow enough for my power goals? (granted cam and valvesprings/pushrods will be needed) or do I HAVE to go 317 or better?

I'm just wondering mainly what heads to go with for my heads so I know what -cc pistons I need to get my compression down to 9-9.5

I'm trying to keep my stock heads if they can flow enough my hp goals

Last edited by sick_tight; 04-26-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

E-85 and 60lb injectors won't take you that far......
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Those injectors might be good to around 700fwhp with E85 at 58psi.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

thanks looks like ill need some bigger injectors

are the stock heads worth upgrading for my goals?
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sorry, what size engine?
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 AM
TECH Regular

Stock LS1
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sure you could do 700 at the wheels with some effort. Better heads than 241s would make it a little easier, though.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sick_tight
Ok so I have been doing alot of looking around and once I feel I've got my mind set and get a good feeling about this turbo. I originally set a goal of 700-800whp with a single front mount turbo. I would be driving this car on weekends and occasionally on road courses. This is a stock LS1 that I will be modding.

I'm going to go with a griffin radiator and stand it up to make some room. I wanted the road race upgraded k-member from Umi but I've got 50/50 comments on wether it would break under street use so still considering that. (doesn't make sense to me that street use would be more harsh than road racing...?)

I want to go with summit racings road course oil pan since the stock oil pan apparently sucks and during turns can starve itself (I know the oil pan is not a perfect fix but should work out for what I would be doing). LS2 timing chain. Wiseco pistons, stock crank, callies connecting rods.

Some suggestions I need help with is:

Cx racing hotside ? I see GM high performance liked them
I'm looking at the new Borg Warner efr T76 for my turbo
What size injectors? 60lb with possible e85 big enough?
Will my stock 853 heads flow enough for my power goals? (granted cam and valvesprings/pushrods will be needed) or do I HAVE to go 317 or better?

I'm just wondering mainly what heads to go with for my heads so I know what -cc pistons I need to get my compression down to 9-9.5

I'm trying to keep my stock heads if they can flow enough my hp goals
I'm positive that the K-Member will be fine. The motor also sounds good, get a custom ground cam for your setup though. I personally wouldn't go with an eBay hotside. I would do Truck Manifolds, look at the top of this section for more info on that. That Turbo looks pretty nice, I like the compressor map for a 347(I'm no expert though). 60lb Injectors are a no go. 80s or more. What fuel pump(s) do you plan to go with? You stock 241 heads should be fine, I would get the ported though. The only reason is people go with 317 heads is to lower compression on stock shortblocks. Since you're going with forged pistons you can dish them to meet your CR needs (I would do around a 9:5:1 ratio since your going E85)
Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

awesome, thank you very much. I was going to go with a custom grind cam but didnt know what heads to go with and if the stock ones (853's) were worth it. i was hoping the main reason for people going with the 317s was to drop compression. i dont want to go much lower than 9.5:1 so i dont lose low end power too much.

I came over from the turbo cobalt community and there was some hype about the new EFR turbos so i read up on them and like what i saw. as for fuel pump im still looking into that, ive heard a few people go with the dual walbro in-tank setup.

my other question was i did read that even with forged internals theres still a high risk of frying the #7 cylinder since there is a problem with the coolant circulation in the heads and i also was reading on here about a fix for that with some added steam vent lines?

again thank you for your advice and knowledge, i am new to the LS community and this is completely different than the cobalt one here there are 1000000000000 different options and paths to take where the cobalt was one way or the other pretty much haha

Quick Reply: Turbo build ideas